1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what got you into this?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by tt, Sep 2, 2009.

1. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

me I had shot my fist buck and sent it to a frien of the famils to have it mounted . paid $300 for it to get my rack with another guys cap wich pissed me off , so he said that he would fix it he was pulling my cape off the form and riped it up the brisket and now you can see where it was sowen, at that point I said I would never pay for someone else to do my work for me I just do it my self

2. rapslp

rapslp New Member

We built a log cabin and a friend of ours was getting divorced and had a caribou that his father had shot that he gave us and he looked so awsome in here that we decided we wanted some squirrels and other animals to put in our home. So after calling a few taxidermist to see if they had any animals that people hadnt picked up and the prices they wanted for them, I decided I would try it. That way we could get what we wanted to put on our walls. My first adventure in this is a racoon head mount that I will be doing this weekend. cant wait to see how it comes out.

3. Mine was a progression. As a kid, I hunted squirells with a pellet gun and made flat skins out of them and put them on my wall. As a teenager, I began trapping but sold all of my skins. As a young adult I would get the taxi supply catalogs and just look through them. I then began doing deer hides which progressed to europeans and now I am in the early stages of shoulder mounts. I'm making a little money on my europeans and flat hides which really comes in handy buyin additional tools and hunting gear.

4. poor experiences with local taxidermist. plus a desire to learn . i give thanx to an old man for getting me started when noone else would help me.!!

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Got into this so I could get burned out on it, it all fades. Dont get to excited about this "new thing", it will be old someday.

6. Got tired of waiting for the local taxidermist to do my stuff 2 years plus it would take him and I always loved hunting, fishing & trapping making a buck is ok to

7. The Ojibwa

The Ojibwa Member

Ohio
    My first deer was a dandy buck and I remember going to check it it when some bystanders were admiring it and asked where I was getting it mounted (just assuming from it's rack that it was going on the wall). I said I wasn't going to because I was 12 and I didn't have the money...my dad later told me he felt bad but I'm glad he didn't get it for me because it was not only how I got into taxidermy, but a life lesson as well!

I still have the rack and might even buy a cape this season and finally get him mounted up.

8. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Affirmative Action,( reverse discrimination ), anytime a black person tells me I don't know about discrimination I give them an ear full and shut up REAL FAST.
    I never wanted to be a full time taxidermists.
    The government forced me to me one.It's long long story
    And I ain't going to type it

9. Hoosiertaxman

Hoosiertaxman Papa's Pride & Joy

20 years in the advertising business as a graphic designer + 37 years of hunting and fishing = someone who likes to artistically play around with dead animals

10. Well I've always been interested in it but seemed to end up in what seemed to be a good carreer. Got sick and tired of making someone else more than they deserve, and took the bull by the horns and decided to go full time this year. Wish me luck!

11. EmzEffect

EmzEffect New Member

i started cos i just really liked animals?? lol
    i used to go looking for feathers and bones when i was small, and i always thought dead animals were great and would sometimes take them home, or at least take a bunch of photos....then i saw this beautiful taxidermy crow and my mums friends house when i was about 7, and got a slight interest then. its constantly played on my mind since then, and i would research it quite often, and finally at 17, after my rebellious stage, my grandparents(who i live with) hated me and didnt give a damn what i did any more, i got a job to buy everything i need for taxidermy. i make my boyfriend and sister walk up country side roads with me looking for something decent, taking up most weekend and filling my grandparents freezer XD they love it *rolls eyes*
    also its another medium of art for me - my life has been based on art since forever, and this was something else artistic for me to do :D

12. ShedEgo

ShedEgo New Member

Yup I too use to collect little critter skulls and put them in jars. Always just thought it was neat! Ive always had a love for art AND animals. In high school we did cat dissections for a few months, the anatomy was amazing. After picking up bow hunting I shot my first doe and thought what they heck...Ill give taxidermy a shot. I ended up loving the process (well, not all parts) ...and continued to do more and more critters. I see myself improving all the time. Its exciting!
    Haha you want to talk about people not understanding...I have been going to school for veterinary technology, yet, I do taxidermy. People just cant seem to figure that one out :)

13. EmzEffect

EmzEffect New Member

lol a vet course! im actually doing hairdressing in college this year, wtf. its all art orientated, after i quit my art course because my teacher was an idiot i looked for something else artistic and that was it, though i really wish there were proper vet courses around here cos id be doing that in a shot.
    haha yeh the skinning is sometimes dodgey....like if you cut something that contains goop by accident D8 only happened once with a pheasant, but i learnt my lesson xD

14. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

For many of the reasons everyone else stated. I have always been an artists, but that really doesn't paint the bills. Went to college for wildlife mgt and worked for the DNR for many years until the dumbocrats cut all the funding. Lost another job after getting seriously hurt at work, and the state paid for me to learn to do something else, so I chose taxidermy which is something I always wanted to do. Like alot of people, I get sick of seeing people getting ripped off by bad taxidermists and waiting years to get stuff done. Still working PT, hopefully in the next 1-2 years will be able to go mostly fulltime in taxidermy. I specialize though, I don't do everything. Wouldn't touch a deer for $10k! I guess that's why I don't identify with some of the people on here who are burned out, To me this is my dream job after living through a nightmare of an abusive job that almost killed me. Now ask me in 20 years and I might not say the same thing!

15. tem

tem Well-Known Member

i like hunting a lot. and when the season ended i had nothen to do. now i have a lot to do. but i love it ;D.

16. I went to the taxidermist with my father when I was 7 and ever since that day I wanted to become one. I started when I was 13 with fish and squirrells and I now own and operate my full time studio. I am 35 now, so I have been doing it forr 22 years already.

17. Gatorjaw

Gatorjaw New Member

Your so right on track Marc A. Women just love blood and guts, thats why their good in the kitchen too. And you know they say a woman can tell how big your gutpile is by the size of your feet. LOL! Just kidding women, all in fun.

18. wetandwild

wetandwild New Member

I like building stuff. Fabrication, mechanical, Etc. Love hunting. I killed a buck worthy of mounting last year. Found a good taxidermist. Had a lot in common with him. He screwed up his shoulder and he asked me if I wanted to help him mount my buck. I was so excited to see the process. We became good friends. He let me help him on some other customer's fish, birds and deer. He recently stopped doing taxidermy due to marital problems and gave me all of his tools and supplies. As payment, I mounted 2 of his customers fish that he wasn't able to do because of the circumstances. I have a freezer full of frozen pizzas and skinned animals. Waiting to make a few bucks before I start buying racoon, skunk, turkey, pheasant, mouse, (lol), forms. I really enjoy this.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

no more post for 72 days now, wetandwild set the schedule by bringing up a dead post.

20. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Deer heads hanging in a barber shop when I was a kid always amazed me....then my dad was cleaning out an old southern mansion...there was a moose head in there from the 1890's...I just couldn't understand how it was done..an ad in "Boys Life" from the Northwestern School of Taxidermy inspired me to take a correspondence course...that was 40 yrs ago.