1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to fasten sheet moss to base

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by Kybuck, Sep 3, 2009.

1. What is the best method to fasten sheet moss to a wood base? I'm thinking that staples might show because the moss I have is pretty thin, but I don't know if glue will hold it to the base very secure. Thanks

2. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

I use hot glue .

3. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Hot glue or spray adhesive

4. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

X2

5. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

hot glue, or stick it in there and push down while the base material is still wet.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If you will always remember that it's NOT the glue that causes you problems but the strata strength of the material you're gluing. Since sheet moss is a myriad of roots and shoots, affixing it to your diorama must be done with something that will grasp them better . Spray glue is purely topical and as all contact spray glues are prone to do, eventually it will crystalize and the moss will likely fall off. Hot glue is a bit better but again, not very effective since only "lines of glue" are used to hold the moss. The BEST thing I've ever found is a good carpet contact cement (much like Buckeye Supreme) where you can put down a thick layer of glue and them "smoosh" your sheet moss down into it. As it dries, the glue permeates the moss making its dislodging all the more remote a possibility.

7. Thanks everyone for the input, I have tried spray adhesive to try to stick spanish moss to a base before and had no success. I haven't tried hot glue or the carpet adhesive but a point George brought up about eventually the sheet moss coming loose is what I was worried about. Believe I will try the carpet adhesive.

8. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Try a clear drying caulk with silicone in it. Put it on heavy and just press the moss into it. once good contact is made go ahead and work it over to get the loft back into the moss. Nice thing about caulk is the convenience of application and the cost is not too high either.

9. I have also been using my hide paste for attaching moss to bases and it works great.

10. I use #256 Henry floor adhesive, a 5 gallon bucket only cost under $25 and will last a very long time. They sell it at floor and carpet stores.

11. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Does it dry clear?

12. Resin. Wait till it starts to thicken, push the moss lightly into the pool, then throw/sprinkle your habitat dirt over the moss and resin.

13. No it does not, but you are covering it with moss and other items.

14. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Just wondered in case you were leaving parts open or if it happened to show through.