1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowtann

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andysmith, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

the instructions say not to use rock salt. why? isnt that just salt not ground up fine?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Andy, this site has an archive that works some of the time. Look up "salt", it's too long to retype. And since you don't know why yet, I'd suggest you follow all the directions you get without questioning them at this point.

3. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

other then rock salt being dirty and not ground up as much what is the difference. and i did follow the directions i just wanted to know cuz i dnt like buying those 1lb containers at the grocery store... i suppose i could go to home deopt

4. Wise words from a wise man :)

5. George

Andy, you still are't following directions well. If you'd gone to the archives, your question has been answered about a thousand times. THIS TIME ONLY, I'll do what you should have done. There's the link: http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,46408.0.html

6. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

Go to your local feed mill see if they have champions choice MIX-N-FINE salt its as fine a table salt clean and cheaper . I use it all the time.

7. Walmart does have the regular sized iodized and non iodized salts (in the little cynlinders) for about 25 cents apiece...i usually buy between 20 to 30 at a time

8. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

thanks guys! also it says to use sodium bicarbinate instead of baking soda but the ingrediants for baking soda is sodium bicarbinate.. so i really dnt get that. is there a difference?

9. marine

marine In God We Trust

If you have a TSC or farm store near you you cna buy 40lbs. of salt for 4-5 $

10. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

There is NO, NONE, NADA difference between baking soda & sodium bicarbonate. They are theSAME GD THING. If the directions are that screwed up & they are, why would you trust the product?

11. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

lol i didnt think there was a difference. im gonna use the rest of what i bought. i agree the instructions are pretty effed up in telling people there is a differnce when there isnt

12. George

Andy, you DO have a difficult time following directions, don't you? Did you type in "bicarbonate of soda" or "sodium bicarbonate" in that little SEARCH BLOCK AT THE TOP OF THE SCREEN??? You ain't the first horse in this rodeo. USE THE ARCHIVES FIRST.

13. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

You know I haven't had much time to go threw these posts(since I moved into a new house ).....but when I finally do.......... it is a darn shame to see how this new guy is welcomed..........Rudeness is totally uncalled for..........
    Bill,There is allot of people that trust this product.........just because of a mistake on the directions doesn't mean its a bad product.........
    Actually that was an ignorant thing to write on your part......... Only because YOU personally don't like the product............
    Here's how you SHOULD answer his post...........
    Andy......One reason is because its hard to get the rock salt to dissolve into the water.......The fine grade salt works better.........There is no difference in the Sodium Bicarbonate and baking soda..........I buy My salt at the feed store in 50# bags,it's a fine grain meat curing salt........Use the archives and you'll find more information on the subject and lots of arguments lol...........Welcome to this sight and GL in your taxidermy..............
    Tom King
    PS...... George has allot to offer you so ignore his manner of giving you the advise lol............

14. bill@hogheaven

You need to take care of your own posts Tom. Dont worry about George & I.

15. George

Tom, the only thing that's changed since your bleeding heart wasn't on here whining was that things have been going quite smoothly. Soi why don't you go back in the house and stop that incessant whining. You're the only one who defends Krowtann as if it were God's gift to taxidermy. I would guess that far more people use dry preservative than Krowtann. From the sounds of commercial tanneries, it seems that the best artisans are using REAL tans instead of paint ons and tan immitators.

As for as give meaningful advise or information, then perhaps it's YOU who should also read the archives and especially the hyperlink I provided. Rock salt has as much common with table salt as Krowtann has with a real tan. It doesn't dissolve because of thehigh MINERAL content. Even if you ground it up superfine, it would STILL be inappropriate for any type of hide preservation.

16. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

REAL would be? paint ons and immitators would be?

17. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

George, you might know your stuff, but I thought this was a way to help people, not make them feel stupid. If it's such a burden to answer a simple question then please don't bother. In as much time as you spend telling people they can't follow directions and that they should go to the archives you could have answered the question. Tom and everyone else, thanks for your help.

18. bill@hogheaven

Andy...actually George was helping you. The amount of information in the archives is mind boggling. You can get immersed in them real easy as one thing leads to another & another. First thing you know ,you have a good understanding of the subjects you research. George, by trying to introduce you to the archives was doing you a favor. A thin skin wont get you far on this site. We arent PC either. But stick around & you will recieve an education here. You will find George to be one of our better teachers. ENJOY !!!

19. Andysmith

Andysmith Member

Im sure george was trying to help me but the way he came off was very crappy. he could have told me and then simply said make sure u check the archives first and told me something like you said.. not tell me i cant follow directions.. im all about learning something new and a trick or two to make thing easier.... what is the reason that you dont like krowtann?

20. Andy...be grateful for George's and Bill's help they are not from the Krowtann school..but they do know about tanning....

Krpwtann is really self explanatory...just follow the directions on the bottle and you should do just fine..any questions, call Brian Harness @ OzarkWoods...he is the inventor of the stuff