1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowtann

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andysmith, Sep 4, 2009.

1. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Tom your right that we are all taxidermist but I was taught to be a taxidermist you better know how to prep and tan hides. I send hides off but I also tan some of my own as well but I actually pickle my hides, I don't just throw them in an alledged miracle solution and call them tanned either. Everyone should want to learn and be able to tan like pros, we still call ourselves professionals in this industry so just how professional are we? ::) Tanning is very simple and "because I've been there" I to know that anyone can do it if they try or are taught how to properly do it. If you are loosing hides from tanning maybe it isn't your tanning you need to work on, maybe it's your prep work. I don't see how anyone would loose a bunch of hides or "most" of the time loose hides trying to tan like a "PRO" because as I stated it is a simple process and easy to do. ::) You know the Geico commercials... So easy even a caveman can do it. Well it is.

Good Luck Andy and I hope when you read all these post that you are able to get something out of them as well.

2. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

What system are you useing with your home tanning?

3. TD

Seems that Bill and George both bailed out of this one............
    But I'll bet we haven't heard the last of George .........
    Bill is back in the dictionary and may be a while.........

4. psycho

Tom I use a formic acid pickle and some times a safetee acid pickle on my hides. From weasels to African critters. I have used Lutan F, Rittels, McKenzie and liqua tan over the years. Dan

5. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Is liqua-tan NOT a paint on ??? cause George separated "REAL" tans from paint ons and imitators ??? Right now I use MOSTLY liqua-tan ,used some krowtann(just experimenting), and bought some lutan f but haven't tried it yet ::)

6. TD

When I tanned, I favored the formic acid.
    I also favored the Liqua tan and Lutan..........
    If I had a problem cape,I was lucky to save it..........
    Since I started useing KT,The only way I loose one is if it was already slipping before the Tan/or preservative if that what you want to call it.............
    You know there is a system that some of the top names use with Lutan-F and Formic acid that is used in the same way as KT(one soak then Neutralize and mount).........Ive used it and it I like it as much as the KT........
    The next question is.........Have you ever used KT?........
    What I cant understand is why anyone would talk against a product that they have never used or only tried once..........

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tom, is English your second language? Just what part of "YES" were you able to comprehend the first of at least a dozen times I've told you I used it is just too difficult for you to understand? I used and and did not like the severe shrinkage I got. Just like I did McKenzie tan. Now that was when they both came out and I know Krowtann has made several "improvements" (likely McKenzie has as well), but "once bitten, twice shy". I'm not about to take the chance on a paying customer's hide again. One day when I decide to RETRY THE NEW AND IMPROVED FORMULA ON MY OWN HIDES, then "perhaps".

8. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

well krowtan does contain about every tanning acid there is, i havent had a problem one with it....

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

What kind of salt do you use Ron? ::) ::)

10. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Garlic salt, it keeps the vampires away!!!

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Cool. I'll have to try it :D

12. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

DAMN IT!!! I ran out of pop corn, you have some I can borrow Kevin?

13. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Sure, what flavor?

14. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Garlic ROTFLMOA

15. psycho

Tom if the question "have you ever used Krowtan was directed to me, then yes and I had a student that I also taught how to tan. I did not teach him how to krowtan. I taught him the proper way to tan a hide. I used the kt on a doe, cheap dime a dozen hides and glad it was just that, just an extra cape which later went into the trash. The biggest problem with KT is that there are a ton of people that can't tan a hide or have never learned how to tan a hide or prep one properly and then they buy this stuff and now they are an excellent "tanner". I use the word "tanner" only for descriptive purposes. The real problem is you can look at a lot of hides done by some of these people and they still look like a freaking raw cape that someone has tried to do something too. My student called me in a panic one day. Now after hearing my spill on KT he still thought that since everyone else seems to like it so much he would to try it. When he described to me what he had done with the capes and what they looked like I told him to pack them and bring them up here. He showed up with the POS hides and I told him I only had one question for him. When he asked what, I asked him if I taught him how to use that crap or did I teach him the right way to tan a hide. His reply was, well I thought I could get by doing it with this stuff because it seemed easier to do. Thats the problem. A lot of people think shortcuts are great and are to damn lazy to put work and effort forth. I do know he kept using it until it was gone since he paid for it. Now whether or not he does today I don't know but you can be certain that it is always in the back of his mind that he may have not lost those hides had he tanned them the way he was taught. I know they have made changes since they came out with it. Thats great change can be great but it is a part of change that I will not be a part of. If everyone else that tries it, likes it, then thats great. I will not be one of them as long as we have choices. By the way he found me on this website and this is where he read things about krowtan and made his decision to try it. I'm not certain but I believe they have come up with different formulas since I tried it but I won't do it again. I could be given a 55 gallon bucket of the stuff for free and I promise it will collect dust or be sold to the loyal KT followers. I have no use for it, thats my opinion just as you have yours. Just because I don't like KT doesn't mean that I don't like Brian or other products he puts out. It has nothing to do with him personally.

16. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

The easiest way is seldom the best way. Skipping steps & methods used by commercial tanneries that have stood the test of time is a gamble I wont take.
    Like George & Psycho I had to try it too. I have no use for a treatment that made my skins shrink. Just like factory pre-set eyes it may look inviting to beginners. It has no place in my business which constantly strives for excellence.

17. TD

Thanks for your reply Psycho...........
    What ever went wrong with the capes.....i dont know..... but as long as I have used the product, I doubt very much it was the KT unless it was an old formula as you state............
    I agree with you about the prepping......If it's not prepped right ,it wont matter what tan you use....
    As far as shrinkage.........I'll have to dis agree there.........The salt drying and pickle baths give you as much shrinkage if not more as the KT............Maybe not with the JRTS if you just paste on a green cape..........I never used it so I cant say.......
    It is a simple process to stretch the cape back out.........Its simple .........A hand in both ends and stretch with your arms........
    Severe Shrinkage George?? Come on George now that just has to be a bald faced lie lol.........The only severe shrinkage Ive ever seen with a cape is after it's been salt dried for a year or more .............Maybe the Pro Tanners can get the stretch back the same but I sure as heck cant...........
    If you pickle your capes with an acid bath the the capes will shrink the same as the KT and probably more ...........Ive worked a quantity of capes and I know........

18. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

Just trow some 20 mule team borax on it drink about six beers and Pi$$ on it . who cares as long as the hair stays on it ,and the finished product looks good ,and you and most of all the customer is happy .

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tom, when a 20 inch deer won't fit a 17 inch form, in most quarters I'm familiar with, that's considered "severe shrinkage". Now I understand you want to be the big PooBah on Krowtann and try to claim that it was my fault in not following directions, but that sir, is a bald faced lie, not what I relayed about my experience with it.

Before you call someone a liar, perhaps you'd better know what you're talking about. #1. JRTS does NOT go on to a green hide and #2, you're absolutely correct about a good pickle shrinking the hide. That's exactly what it's supposed to do, but then you neutralize it which lets it all back out and then you tan it. BIG DIFFERENCE in that and the antiquated "pickle tan" method you're defending. (Do you really know what a pickle tan was and the results you got with it?)

Never once have I called you a liar. A bullsh1t artist and a charlatan perhaps, but never a liar. I take strong exception to that as there's little in my life I take more seriously than someone taking a cheap shot at my character. Go back to your house.

20. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

I hope Redwolf is cooking some popcorn ,cause it's gettin pretty close to declaring a WINNER ;D