1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowtann

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andysmith, Sep 4, 2009.

1. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Tom, when a 20 inch deer won't fit a 17 inch form, in most quarters I'm familiar with, that's considered "severe shrinkage".

Well George if it's not a bald faced lie then you just plain measured your deer wrong.
    So which one is it George?
    What's My house got to do with this George?..............

2. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

FIGHT !!!

3. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

havent tried it, wont try it! i agree with George, why steer away from a time tested method as a comercial tan. to me these brush on tans are like the many diet drugs, just quit eatin ice cream for christ sakes!

4. TD

If you agree with George then you should start using JRTS because that is what he uses.......
    Just like eatin Ice cream lol......

5. SR1

SR1 Divorces cost so much cause they are worth it!!!!!

WNY
    I have never had a single problem with it but then again I have never used it ;D ;)

6. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

i wouldnt use JRTS either.lol

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Well, Tom, I will say one thing. In your hiatus, it seems you've grown a set of balls. Too bad they're between the legs of a jackass.

8. FINALLY THE ROCK HAS COME BACK TO KROWTANN!!!! lol....Now if we can only knock ole bill at hog heaven to get on board...he and George and oldshaver i think are the last three relics of the old tanning age

9. TD

I may be a Jackass George but I dont speak with a fork tongue.......I just tell it how I see it.........
    It doesnt take a pair to bully people behind a keyboard lol..........
    What I write at you ,I would say in front of you...............

10. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

WOW ;D go get him ;)

11. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

That's twice you've called me a liar Tom. Obviously you think that gives your peanut gallery something to cheer about. But I saw the pictures of your "school" and the work of your "students", so it's pretty plain to see the "quality" and "pride" you take in your work. I would warn you that if Krowtann performs along the lines of the old pickle tans, those mounts will be falling apart in 10 to 15 years, but after seeing those pictures, I'm not sure how you'd ever know.

12. TD

Well George.......It all depends on just how well they are cared for.........
    Nothing will last if it is not properly cared for .......
    Not even a commercial tan...........
    Ive seen some of My KT mounts nearly a decade later that look the same as the day they were mounted ........I'll bet it'll make another decade........as long as its cared for.........
    No George......I only called you a liar once.........I just insinuated it the second time lol.......

13. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I made a product like this, a while back, and it was decent. Thats about it. After talking to 3 different leather chemists, about the possibillitys of any true tanning taking place, I dropped the project. THEY ALL said, that a PRODUCT LIKE THIS, was against the laws of tanning, and a PROPER tan, was IMPOSSIBLE to achieve, in one solution. I used to think like some of you, and see some possibllitys. Not any more.

Most paint-on tans on the market, have twice the ACTUAL tanning taking place.

George has said it more than once, and I used to dis-agree with him, to a certain extent. Now I agree with him 100%. This is nothing more than a pickled skin, that has been oiled in the solution, to provide stretch. Very little ACTUAL tanning, is taking place. Might as well DP!

14. TD

I,m certainly not going to argue with you OS..........But I've used DP for years and I've used KT for years as well and in my opinion it is much better than DP.
    The hair is softer and sets tighter and there is a better sheen to it............
    I never said KT was better than a commercial tan...........
    I work skins for taxidermy and allot of them and I'm good at it ,but I am by no means a Profesional tanner...........

15. OS I stand behind Tom 100%...the only other "brush-on" tanning agent i have ever used that is as good as Krowtann is one that i don't see much anymore...I bought some off Ebay as an experiment and was surprised to find it works really well...It is a powdered agent that you mix with water and brush on the hide...it has a very distinctive sassafras smell to it which is really nice...

The end results of this "brush -on " tan was a white as a sheet underside to a soft pliable 1/2 deerhide

16. Forgot to say the name...DIXIE-TAN

17. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    I'm gonna add my two cents worth here ... hopefully my two"sense" worth. One of my first place of employment was in a Tannery, where I was tutored in the proper methods of tanning by the Master Tanner of ALL TIME ... Mr. Sinclair Clark.

He taught me what the best salt was, what to look for in an oil, what sawdust should be avoided and why, the right mixture for the "bite" -- acid pickle -- the proper use of the round knife, and the case for immersion tanning, and why paddle wheels were an important feature in his pickling and tanning vats.

All this sunk in, and all the products that have come down the pike since, have had no bearing on what I know to be the truth about tanning ... and that is "There are no shortcuts when properly tanning hides" ... a Sinclair quote.

Add one more name to the "Old School" tanning team ... John Bellucci.

When I tanned all my own capes and lifesize -- North American or African -- I salted, drained, re-salted to nearly dry to remove the proteins, albumin, and "glue" from the skins; then used an Oxalic acid pickle, followed by shaving on the round knife, returning the skin to the pickle -- all the time watching and adjusting the pH for proper acid penetration; neutralizing and finally tanning with Lutan-F.

I've used Lutan-F since the early 1970's and it has never failed me once. I am methodical in my approach to tanning skins, that's the way I am.

I tried a brush-on with moderate and then NO success, and stopped using it period! I do not, and will not try Krowtan, or any other "latest and greatest" no matter how many laud it as a "fast and easy" method ... a SHORTCUT! Products like Stop Rot, Krowtan, etc., will never find a home in my studio. I believe in and use the methods and materials that have served me well for more years than some on here have been in existence.

There is a saying: "If it ain't broke ... don't fix it." Why then, would I waste money on a product and run the risk of ruining a skin, or cape all in the name of "getting on board" with what "everybody else" is using? That makes no sense whatsoever.

These days I use commercial tanneries for most hides and capes ... Tanneries that use either Alum Tans or Lutan-F Tans. Alum tannage is one of the oldest and most reliable tans out there. Lutan-F is not too far behind in its use. Both are superior tans and will always be the tans of choice for me.

There ... my two sense worth.

John.

18. 8 track tapes worked just fine, and some people still swear they were the best. What about carbon paper? I am not advocating any method of tanning, I just want to make sure we don't stifle any innovative thinking or technological advancements by being stuck in a rut. We have to think out of the box if we want to do things faster, better, easier, or cheaper.

19. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

One thing about 8 tracts You didn't have to worry about scratching the disc . LOL

20. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

John, I agree with everything you wrote, except for two things.

1. I think oxalic acid, is too strong of an acid, for what we are trying to accomplish. Like sulphuric, it removes "too much", leaving skins susceptible to red rot.(not red mold)

2. Lumping Stop-Rot, and that other product, in to the same sentence, was a little overkill. I do see what you are talking about, as far as their being no substitute for proper fleshing, and salting. Proper fleshing and salting, in a timely manner, can be achieved by some Taxidermists, but for others, especially newbies, and those that are a little slower, or don't have a fleshing machine, Stop Rot, could be an invaluable tool, to help prevent slippage. Not to mention the Hunters neglect, in bringing his or her trophy to the Taxidermist, in a timely manner. I think bow season here, starts this week end, and the temps here, are still pushing 80degrees, at sundown.

I consider Stop Rot more as a preventative measure, than anything else.

Whats that old saying? An ounce of prevention, is worth a pound of cure?