1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

krowtann

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Andysmith, Sep 4, 2009.

1. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I use Stop Rot when I teach My students to Turn the eyes ,ears ,nose and lips...............
    We can spend a whole day doing this and the more protection ,the better.
    Something else that will help a beginner is to periodically put the cape in the freezer to chill it back down............

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Chilling a hide back down is more of a St. Christophers medal than it is effective. Once bacteria start to break down a hide, refreezing or refrigerating it simply slows the inevitable. In the time it takes to cool the hide, the bacteria have had a free ride. When the hide re-thaws, the bacteria just continue from the point they were at initially.

3. TD

It will buy more time..........
    A cape will last longer kept cold in a refrigerator that it will setting out on a warm table..........
    Sure if you leave it in the frig long enough ,it will still slip........

4. TD

I see your point George but I'm not saying refreeze it just keep it cold and dont let it get hot............
    It's also good if you can work in a air conditioned room on hot months........

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You know what works really good, letting that hide pickle at a pH of about 1.5 for a day, then prepping it. (of course you would have to abandon the Krow-method)

6. TD

OK Cole .....What ever you say ??? ;D ;D lol