1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

UPLAND BIRDS of the year.....2009....lets see them

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jeremy, Sep 5, 2009.

1. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Crappy pic of some Ptarmigan I shot a couple weekends ago.. I'll find and upload some better pics later, So far its been about 8-9 Ruffed grouse, 2 Spruce grouse, and 8 ptarmigan for upland birds..

What do snipe count as?

Attached Files:

2. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

The first batch were winter ones taken with the Benelli, I also shot a bunch this fall with the bow 200 miles north of the Arctic circle..

Attached Files:

3. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Dude! Those pics have me overcome with envy!!!! ;) :D ;D

4. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Hoytman Snipe for sure count as Upland here....did you get some? Love them little buggers.

Scottyboy SAWEEEEEET pictures man...

5. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I think I mistook 1 or 2 this year.. they bombed my decoys and I thought they were teal... Until they made a tiny splash when they skipped across the water.. Serious though.. I think I have a brain lapse every year at least 1 time and end up shooting a dang snipe

6. JE

JE Well-Known Member

A good day for two of us at the woodcock, over a pointer and spaniels
    [​IMG]

7. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Our duck hunting may be done, but now that the corn is almost out, we are just warming up on the longtails. This was last Saturday. Four of us ended up with 18 and frostbite for the weekend. Some of them had very good spurs, up to 3/4". This was all SD DIY hunting. We broke snow drifts in a lot of ditches and seen well over a thousand pheasants. Given the large groups of birds and the funky SD trespass law, we couldn't shoot at hardly any of them. It was still very much worth the trip. My 13 year old shot his first limit, and his first pheasants hunting with me, on Saturday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Nicley done Steve...good times and memories with the kids. Im taking the 9 y/o tommorrow for ducks if all gos as planned

JE danged nice group of birds there..... ;)

9. Scottyboy

Scottyboy New Member

AZ
    A few from this past Thursday... Chasin' Mearns.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Thanks Jeremy. I hope you and your daughter have good shooting this morning. Congratulations on your score on ducks the other day. I agree that the one American widgeon in the picture looks like part eurasian. Both very nice birds, either way.

Scottyboy, where's YOUR snow? Nice bag there. How do they taste?

11. RDA

RDA Active Member

YOU ALL are depressing me..........looks like i wont be snapping a cap this year........ :'( :'( ::) ;D BUT dang nice bunches of birds guys!!!!

12. babak

babak Active Member

here is some partridges from iran.

Attached Files:

13. Scottyboy

Scottyboy New Member

AZ
    No snow down this way, Amigo..just sunny skies and 70 degree days!! Ah, the beauty of southern AZ in the winter.. I'll trade ya come late May though!!

Babak, very cool seeing chukars taken in their home range! We have them here in the States, but I like seeing them in their native lands too.

I plan on trying for Himalayan Snowcock when I go to Kyrgystan for my up coming Mid Asian Ibex hunt. They tell me that there are plenty of them in the hills.

14. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgd1t0MyKOY

You Tube clip of one drive on a formal Pheasant shoot in England. 8 Guns shot 795 "Roosters" as you call them that day. Canned hunt yes I suppose, but the birds are free to roam and leave the estate.

This was one drive early in the season

15. And a partridgeeee in a pair tree

16. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Twas the week before Christmas in N.D. and the corn was finally down! Plenty of roosters stirring!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I have to ask, do you only shoot "cock" ( rooster) pheasants in the US ? I only ever see photos of cocks, no hens.

18. Raspy

Raspy New Member

JE

Yes, cocks are all we can shoot...at least here in the midwest states that I hunt that is (Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, Iowa, Oklahoma). I dont know about the rest of the country but Im pretty sure its the same.

19. I wish we had more pheasants here....
    I'd love to get some to eat. ):

I looooove wild game meat! <3

20. kparks_hunter

kparks_hunter New Member

In some parts of new york where i live we can take either sex of pheasant. I got a nice hen a few months back