1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

coues deer form question???

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by jonathanjbg1977, Sep 6, 2009.

1. I have a question that I am pretty sure someone can answer for me. I was wondering if I could use a coues deer form for a small whitetail that I have. McKenzie has one for coues deer that is the size that I need and I like the form but I am unsure if it will fit the whitetail that I have due to mabe the neck being longer than a coues or them having two different body structures. Please someone if you could help me with this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,Jonathan

2. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    What size measurements are you looking for?

3. I'm no expert but a coues deer is just a sub-species of the wtd so if your measurements are the same I wouldn't see an issue. But like I stated I am no expert. Other opinions may vary.

4. The measurements that I have for the whitetail is etn 5 3/4 and tight behind the ears is 13 inches.

5. coues_deer

coues_deer New Member

USA
    The head on the Coues deer form will be different but you could use it. McKenzie has a 6x14 in there old style forms and KB has a 5 1/5 x 13 3/4" whitetail. Joe Coombs also has a 5 1/2 x 13 if I remember right.

6. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

What pose are you wanting ??? McKenzie has a Semi-Sneak 5" nte 12" behind ears or a 6" nte 13" behind the ears.I normally buy a form 1/2 smaller (nte) than the deer to give me extra skin.Looks like you might have to alter whatever you do.Was that over the hair or the actual meat?

7. Afws I was looking at the semi sneak offset coues deer form because I really like that pose. I just got through doing one on my first Joe Meder semi sneak offset form and I love the way it looks. Yeah that is what I try and do most often is to buy a form at least a 1/4 to a 1/2 smaller than the actual hide. Trust me after numerous of times ordering the wrong size form I started ordering a little smaller than the actual cape. The measurements are on the actual meat. Is this not right? Coues deer how much different will the head actually be by comparison?

8. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Yep! meat measurement is what I do ;) As far as the difference in the cous deer head. I'm NOT sure cause I never mounted one before :-\ If your STUCK on this certain form maybe someone else could help you out ,cause I don't know.I'm NOT that picky when it comes to PERSONAL stuff so I would get the 6" by 13" from McKenzie and shorten NtE.

9. Thanks guys for all your help!! I actually found a whitetail manikin in Research mannikin's that is just what I needed a 5 3/4 nte and 13 inches on the neck and it is a semi sneak offset just like I needed. But thanks again guys all who answered my post!!

Jonathan