1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what tanning method do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by coonhunt, Sep 10, 2009.

1. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

I am trying to find the easyest method for tanning and was wondering what you guys and girls use, and why, I was looking at the CURATAN and LUTAN F, what would be the easyest to use I have no problem with alot of steps and I know that I dont what to use the liqua-tans, so any feed back would be great and I thank you now

2. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

I use lutan F for the last 30 plus years exclusively, long shelf life , stretch. I experimented with other tans over the years brush on etc, was not satisfied, If you have tried the rest use the best!

3. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

still lookning for some help here

4. crazycrow

crazycrow Sure ucan trust the government,just ask any indian

I use lutan f for most of my tanning,but i use EZ tan on wallhangers and furs i know will be made into hats ect. because it's waterproof and will not wash out.

5. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

What are you tanning?Tanning for a mount or soft tanning for a rug?

6. Send it out! Why, because it's the easiest. ;)

7. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

mounting

8. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

I did not know that the curatan was a paint on, so that would be out to. I have not herd alot of good things about the liqua tans , are the simple to use, I am new and looking for a good tan to use but I dont mind a few more steps if its going to be a good tan

9. I like paratan myself...

10. Jerry C

Jerry C a good liberal is hard to find

Try JRTS. I'm sure you'll like it.

11. TD

Use Krowtann..........Rick Carter says it's a complete tan and that,s good enough for me...........
    Whatever you use.........Good Luck to you

12. Quite a few of us in here use Krotann but not on everything. I've tried many different tans over the years and they all seem to have their own unique benefits depending on what you're looking for. Personally, other than shipping my skins out to a tannery, Krotann seems to me to be the easiest and I'm quite satisfied with the results, but many others may have their own preference depending on what their looking for and how hard they want to work... Krotann works for me. Try it, you may like it, many do, it's easy and it works...

13. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

agreed

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I'll vouch for Liqua Tan. I use it on every whitetail that comes in my shop, as well as small mammals. The large stuff I send off, just because I hate shaving them, but I have used it on elk with great results. I'm not sure why you are refusing to consider it, but it's a really nice, white leather tan with plenty of stretch that is pretty easy to do in house. We've been using it for 20 years, and I doubt I'll ever change to anything else.

15. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

tom I cant thank you enough for all the help that you gave me. I will keep you updated on the process and thanks again I look foward to talkn to you again

16. michaelf

michaelf New Member

EZ-100 and Liqua-Tan ! Why? Because they work !

17. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

thanks again to all the have posted here it realy help I am going to go with krowtan , thanks again to all

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Am I the only one that sees the irony in that. LMAO

19. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

bill what seems to be the mishap, what for uesing the krowtan??? if so lets here what you got

20. TD

Don't worry blackwolf.You will do just fine with the Krowtann.........
    75% agrees......
    The Krowtann haters are just a minority lol.........