1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what tanning method do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by coonhunt, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Ray , call Tom. The Krowtann did not cause the hair-slip. Here are three things to study.
    Bacteria
    fungis
    Autolysis
    Try to figure out if the hair is breaking off evan with the epidermis or comming out of the folical.
    Also collegan can swell for more than one reason and the hair can swell also , but no were near as much.
    There are as many variables as there are tanners.

2. rayray38821

rayray38821 New Member

not sure what happen,unless i had a weak cape in the start! I did talk to tom just lil bit ago. I have never had a cape to slip a spot the size of a softball. just pisses ya off when you 100 bucks in a green cape and that happens. always a learning process.

3. Was there heavy salting involved prior to tanning...salting almost always is the key ingredient to ensuring a firm hair grip on the hide...

4. rayray38821

rayray38821 New Member

nope did as kt said do,split all,rough flesh then put in mix

5. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

It probably was in trouble before the KT because Ray said there was allot of hair in the solution right after he put the cape in..............

6. Salting is always reccomended prior to tanning...

7. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I can't believe you follow the directions and the miracle complete tan FAILS! Just ridiculous... ::)

8. he didn't salt prior to tanning that was one mistake....

likely though he had a bacteriated skin to start with...in this weather it doesn';t take long for bacteria to multiply

9. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

bacteriated?????

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Bill he's trying to use big words on ya :D

11. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Elkhunter, with KT I don't salt before either. I also don't "rough" flesh, I completely flesh before it goes in.

12. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Sure, don't you all understand

Bacteri ate it....

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

LMAO.

14. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

I assume the cape was frozen . Bacteria stops working at about 15-17 degrees above zero. From the time you take the cape out of the freezer you have about 48 hours lag time for the bacteria that is on the cape when you put it in the freezer to get up to speed. Also where there is a large chunk of meat the damage will not happen as fast as it will where there is no flesh.
    Putting a raw cape straight into a pickle is just not going to produce consistant results when the condidtion and history of the cape is unknown. Freezing and thawing its self causes cell damage. Thaw your capes out in salt water and be safe.

15. rayray38821

rayray38821 New Member

agree!

16. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

ended up going with lutan f just let you all know

17. yep and your capes will trun blue

18. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

???

19. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member