1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what tanning method do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by coonhunt, Sep 10, 2009.

1. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

Krowtann wont let you down. good choice

2. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

A guy walks into a crowded sportsman's bar and asks "What's the best gun to use for deer?"

You're gonna get a hundred different answers....

3. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

Right Cyclone. And you shouldn't have any problems with Krowtann black wolf. It'll work just fine, But I hate it. Used one bottle, and that stuff will not be in my shop again for a long time.

4. ...and one of those answers was a water gun. Does that mean it will kill a deer? ;)

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I never claimed to be a lover or hater of the ever-so-popular Krowtann. I was merely pointing out the irony in refusing to consider a tan that has been a mainstay in the industry as a home tanning agent, and instead choosing to go with a cocktail of acids and oils that has met quite a bit of criticism from expert tanners and chemists. As for my personal experience, I have very little. I had a taxidermist from this site spend a few days with me a couple months ago, and that is what he uses. While at my shop, I prepped a bobcat and a fox and we put them in the Krowtann. We followed the instructions, and when the time came to shave them, the fox fell apart. The cat seemed to not be losing any hair, for whatever that is worth. The smell was nauseating, and it was NO easier and NO faster than my pickle tan method.

6. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Maybe he only wants a wet deer...

7. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

That wasn't aimed at you Cole.........
    If you prefer not to use Krowtann,that's your choice and I respect that.........

8. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

i am not looking for a one answr I am new and trying to fine out what is the easyest way to start as tom said jet your feet wet and theen try diffrnt methods but find one that is going to work for me.... its not that I am trying to just use the best one, its more that as a newbe I am trying to use what most would say is easy and wont let me get discuraged, and just plain give up I am shure that I will try other as mote everyone does but for now I think i am just going to use the krowtan , and clone you never know the watergung may be filled with c-meer deer , mine would bee the suff is great

9. TD

I'm always glad to advise you on any tan you use if I have experience with that type of tan...........
    I,m just a phone call away......
    Good Luck black wolf........

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Be sure of your target before pulling the trigger.

That's what I would do, call someone that struggled with proper tanning methods, for advice on using proper tanning methods.

11. TD

LOL........ That's your assumption.....
    Who said I struggled?
    I can use most the popular tans on the market, I just prefer a method that saves the Iffy capes as well as the good ones.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Please explain to me how it saves an iffy cape...

13. TD

I've used Liqua tan for years and I would loose ,maybe 5 out of 50 capes..........
    Those were the ones that were not cared for properly and at the start of the Tanning process they were not slipping.You know the ones that have the bad smell........
    When I started using Krowtann I got 50 out of 50...........
    If it's slipping before the tan then it goes in the garbage...........

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

black wolf.....you wouldn't be John C.'s son would you ::) ??? Just asking :-[

15. TD

A fox or a bobcat would almost always slip if you took to long mounting and handling it , but not with Krowtan........

16. TD

He was just in hurry MP and didn't use the spell check like I have to do lol.........

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Then you apparently made mistakes. I have saved capes that were green and stinking. I credit Stop Rot for most of that, but also a strong acid pickle, much stronger than the pH of Krowtann. This year I have tanned over 100 capes and have yet to lose one. I did lose a couple last year, but I am 100% confident there is nothing I could have done, including Krowtann, that would have saved those capes. You will find it very difficult to prove to me that Krowtann aids in saving iffy capes, especially after watching a fox fall apart that I know was cared for properly. (BTW, I have never lost a fox or bobcat using my pickle/liqua tan method. Never any epidermal slip on those either.) I was hoping for an explanation of why Krowtann would be a better choice for saving an iffy cape.

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I have one question.....iif Krowtan is so damn easy then why are there so damn many questions about it ???

19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Hey Black Wolf...have you ever fished the White River for trout?

20. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I think people like to plug crap! ;D Just my guess Mike!

The only question you need to ask is, why don't commercial tanneries use it if it is so damn good. PERIOD! My son just turned 7 but when he went to pronounce the name of it he called it krowcrap which was pretty fitting I thought. ;D