1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what tanning method do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by coonhunt, Sep 10, 2009.

1. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Stop Rot wasn't around when I used Liqua tan........
    I used Formic acid with a lower PH than KT as well.............
    Soon as a cape goes in the KT it stops any further slippage.........
    Maybe it has to do with the climate where you are,I don't know .........i just know the results that I achieved and that is all that matters with me........I saved more than I lost........I saved Money........
    I could care less if you use Krowtann or not .........that is your prerogative.........

2. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I could care less what you use as well, I just don't like to see newbs presented with mis-information.

3. TD

I do not mis-inform newbs...........Don't accuse me of it................
    I help Beginners and just because you dont like my methods it doesnt mean there wrong...........

4. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Seems like new people have DP and krowcrap pushed on them instead of being taught the correct way to actually tan a hide. But then again tanning using a pickle instead of a miracle chemical is only a proven way of doing things and time tested. I guess it may require some real work too and maybe some elbow grease.

I can see why people think tanning a hide is so difficult. ::)

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I went down to the white river to watch the fish swim by;
    But I got to the white river so lonesome I wanted to die..., oh lord!
    And then I jumped in the white river, but the doggone river was dry.shes long gone, and now Im lonesome blue.

I had me a woman who couldnt be true.
    She made me for my money and she made me blue.
    A man needs a woman that he can lean on,
    But my leanin post is done left and gone.
    Shes long gone, and now Im lonesome blue.

Im gonna find me a white river, one thats cold as ice.
    And when I find me that white river, lord Im gonna pay the price, oh lord!
    Im goin down in it three times, but lord Im only comin up twice.

She told me on sunday she was checkin me out;
    Long about monday she was nowhere about.
    And here it is tuesday, aint had no news.
    I got them gone but not forgotten blues.

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Suggesting that Krowtann is equal to a pickle/tan is mis-information. Suggesting that Krowtann is more efficient in saving iffy capes is even bigger mis-information. Suggesting that Krowtann is less work is misinformation. Suggesting that putting a slipping cape in Krowtann "stops any further slippage" is mis-information.

Understand these views are of my personal opinion through my experiences, and in no way reflect the thoughts or views of the administrator of this site, or WASCO, the sites owner. He He

7. TD

What's up with you?
    You use Krowtann ONE TIME and lose a fox because of what ever dumb mistake that you may have made ...........
    ..........and you tell me what Krowtann doesn't do...........
    Iv'e Krowtanned 1000 times mores specimen with Krowtann than you have probably ever mounted deer............ I use it day in and day out............
    I don't lie and that's a fact.............
    What ever reason you come on trying to dis credit me and My level of knowledge of taxidermy just because YOU dont like the product is beyond me.........
    everything that I state about Krowtann is based on fact from years of use.I dont Suggest anything.
    By the way...........How long have you even been a taxidermist?You tell me that you save 100% of your capes.Well for all I know you might only do 5 a year.I dont know you from adam and you dont know me......
    If you are going to buck horns with me then give me a little insight as to who you are.............
    I dont mind a good debate as long as YOU dont lie to me because I certainly wont lie to you...............

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

All of that info is at your fingertips. All you have to do is visit my website. http://timberlandtaxidermy.net/ I grew up around taxidermy, helping my father in his shop since I was a boy. I took over the business in 2000, and have been full time since then. While running my full time business over the last nine years I have tanned and mounted many more than 5 deer a year. I told you in one of my replies that I tanned well over 100 deer this year, are you suggesting that was a lie? I never suggested I save 100% of my capes. I in fact told you that I lost a couple in 2008. My success rate is well over 99% however, while my success rate using Krow is stuck at 50%. I never discredited your knowledge of taxidermy, just your knowledge of tanning. You have made suggestions about Krow, as I mentioned, and those suggestions aren't 100% accurate.

9. TD

No I did suggest you are a liar.
    The question is.........How can you make a statement that My suggestions are not 100% when you have only used the Krowtann one time........
    I have seen your Web site and there is no doubt that are very talented........
    but understand one thing about me..........I don't Con anyone,I just tell them the truth about any Tanning system or Preservative what ever you care to call it..........
    If My student doesn't want to learn with KT then that is fine we will use another system in class........and I have ...............more than once.............
    They are told exactly what the experts say about it and they are told what Rick Carter says about it and John Griffith's opinion of it.........I do not educate with lies..........
    They come to class to learn the basics of taxidermy and that is Commercial work with an insight to competition.
    The first thing that I ask a possible student before they take My class is if they are interested in commercial or competition...........Competition,then I tell them about John Griffith............

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

So you would like proof? What, do you want to see my books? Give me a break. If you want to continue with your Krow-crusade then knock yourself out. But here are a few of my opinions:

Krowtann is not easier than pickle/tan
    Krowtann does not stop slipping capes from slipping more
    Krowtann smells like crap
    Krowtann is not a true tan, according to actual tanners
    Krowtann does not "save" iffy capes
    Krowtann is more expensive to use
    Krowtann is the most overrated product to hit the taxidermy industry since the Dan-D-Noser

11. TD

Sorry Cole I accidently left out a word.....I typed too fast
    I left NOT out.......I did not suggest..........

12. psycho

Well I only used the crap once and that was one to many times. I also had a student that used it AFTER he was on his own for about a year and when he brought the capes back up to me I asked him what the hell he did to them and he said he krow tanned them. So 2 experiences with the crap and 10 hides later and I still have the same opinion, crap. But thats my experience and my opinion with the crap. I prefer the time tested methods of tanning and quality.

In my opinion Krowtan is just a hindering product to the industry because it keeps people from really learning how to properly tan hides and just creates the opportunity for another box hacksidermist to hang a shingle and call himself a taxidermist. I am fully aware that there are some fantastic taxidermist that use the crap as well. Why? I don't know, but I do know that I will not use the crap again. If I don't tan my hides they go to the commercial tanneries.

13. TD

Well I think it's pretty narrow minded to judge a product by ONE use and judge it by the use of a rookie.......
    You can try any system one time and screw it up..............
    Especially a Rookie lol.........

14. TD

And your right Cole...they are OPINIONS and nothing more.........

15. psycho

Consider me narrow minded then because I was no rookie when I tried it. But then again I suppose there has to be something to blame other than the krow crap its self.

If it's not good for a rookie to try it then why is it pushed down their throats? Now I am really confused I thought this stuff was suppose to be great for everyone?

16. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

I thought it was so great that You can't screw it up? ;)

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

While I also was a rookie when I had my experience with it, I had someone in my shop that uses the crap who mixed it up and everything, so that excuse doesn't work well with me either.

18. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

ive used it on a couple hundred hides, i dont see what is so bad about it, you mix up the stuff throw the deer in, disturb once or twice a day, neutralize, rinse, flesh, mount. no slipping. i thin the hell out of my hides and can stretch them incredibly. Ok, it smells bad. so does a roadkill coyote, and bondo. The whole method seems fairly easy to me.

19. TD

Seems to me that maybe the Krowtann doesnt like you as much as you dont like it or maybe it's just plain BAD luck lol............

20. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Krowtann is not easier than pickle/tanYes it is
    Krowtann does not stop slipping capes from slipping more Disagree had a fawn that quit slipping once krowtanned
    Krowtann smells like crapIn the bottle yes ,once mounted whitetail formula smells like cinnamon
    Krowtann is not a true tan, according to actual tannersRick Carter said in another thread it is a tan
    Krowtann does not "save" iffy capesrefer to number 2
    Krowtann is more expensive to useBout the same IMO
    Krowtann is the most overrated product to hit the taxidermy industry since the Dan-D-Noser Krowtann is no where near the Dan-D-Noser
    [/quote] with all that said, I don't use it that much but I DO USE IT