1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what tanning method do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by coonhunt, Sep 10, 2009.

1. MHTaxidermy

MHTaxidermy (307) 640-2602

LOL afws, Is Rick Carter the only authority on tanning now? He says it is a complete true tan, Old shaver and his leather chemists, and more top tanning guys say such a thing is not chemically possible. Who you gonna believe?

2. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Maybe it's so GOOD they don't wanna believe such a thing is possible :-\ whether(?) it's a TAN or NOT, I don't use it a whole lot ;D

3. MHTaxidermy

If it was THAT good, don't you think they would be using it?

4. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Why should they if what they are useing works...........
    And maybe some are.....They certainly arnt going to tell you.....

5. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

ROFLMAO, yeah that's it, WG and Carolina have been using it for years, they just don't want you to know. I think I would notice if the hides I was getting back smelled like crap...I mean cinnamon.

6. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

That's cause there using krowtann 2000 and NOT whitetail formula :D

7. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

C'mon, pink? That hurts my eyes trying to read that crap, LOL Ryan said it's easier because he mixes it, puts capes in it, agitates it, pulls capes out, shaves, then neutralizes it. ??? Hmmmmmm, sounds eerily similar to how I use an acid pickle. ??? Okay, so you lost point #1. #2 is similar to #5, in which you told me to refer to #4, which says "you won that one", so deductive reasoning would tell anyone that I won #'s 2, 4, and 5. Unless you have a super secret supplier that sells Krowtann cheaper than anyone else, I guess I won #6 too. Going back to #3, while technically Krowtann doesn't ACTUALLY smell like a steaming pile of crap, I've learned Miranda also doesn't eat it on her French Toast, so we will call that one a draw. Final score: I win, U lose. ;)

8. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Ding..ding...ding!!! We have a winner for stupidest quote on Taxidermy.net for the week & it's only Tuesday! :eek:

9. MHTaxidermy

The hides I tanned with it definetely had a distinctive odor. And why should they use it if what they are using works? For the same reasons you are promoting the stuff, Its easier, Its cheaper, more fool proof, Sounds good all around. And If it produces just as good of a end result, why not save some $$ and time? Makes sense doesn't it?

10. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Aight so you WIN(Ran out of ammo the first round and was having a hard time the second) ;D I didn't know pink was so hard to read(never used that color) ::) Can we get on a Liqua-Tan debate ;D cause I know tanneries prep a skin so you can apply Liqau-Tan

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Sure, I'll debate Liqua Tan:

Liqua Tan sucks because it is as easy to use as Krowtann.
    Liqua Tan sucks because it produces a nice, white leather.
    Liqua Tan sucks because it doesn't smell as strong as Krowtann.
    Liqua Tan sucks because when pickling at a pH of 1, you have less chance of problems.
    Liqua Tan sucks because you get great stretch.
    Liqua Tan sucks because it has been successfully used for years and years by thousands of taxidermists.

12. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Sure, I'll debate Liqua Tan:

Liqua Tan sucks because it is as easy to use as Krowtann.So easy a caveman can do it(so it's not a tan)
    Liqua Tan sucks because it produces a nice, white leather.and we need green ;D
    Liqua Tan sucks because it doesn't smell as strong as Krowtann.it smells to much like a rotting skin ;D
    Liqua Tan sucks because when pickling at a pH of 1, you have less chance of problems.plenty of slippage ;D
    Liqua Tan sucks because you get great stretch.hmmm 20 inch cape down to a 17 :D
    Liqua Tan sucks because it has been successfully used for years and years by thousands of taxidermists. We need more experimenting to make sure it tans ;D
    [/quote] I don't see any issues :D LOL

13. TD

LOL....Now that,s the best laugh I've had in while .................

14. TD

Pretty good sense of humor if You ask me lol.........

15. remi609

remi609 Member

I don't know everything or even close but lutan or rittels ez100 works good for me. I use the citric acid. I also use prooil from Van dykes. MAKE sure you follow the directions, MAKE sure to follow! Kevin

16. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

wow, another question turned into a Krowtan debate! gotta love it..
    I wont use it. Formic Cid Pickle, Lutan F Tan, & I use oil I obtained years ago from a tanner but I also add 25% Liqua Tan to the oil just because I have a lot of it.. once my stock of oil is gone then I will possibly change. never had a problem with anything thus far. If I have something that looks questionable it goes in a more concentrated pickle (as in salt-and phenol- not acid) same goes with canines.
    I have no use for Krowtan
    I actually preffer to use a Tannery you cant beat someone at their own game!

17. TD

And I respect that..........Those are good tans.

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Wait, so when he says it you respect it?

You got your wish today Tom, I just finished mounting a Krowtann deer. (Long story, but I have to mount two of them this year, not my choice) Now I have a question, How do I get this smell off of my freaking hands. I've washed and washed them, and they still smell. I think I might vomit. :-[ :p

19. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

I think it will make fox news ;D you was complaining about krowtann and your using it :D LOL

20. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

How do I get this smell off of my freaking hands. I've washed and washed them, and they still smell. I think I might vomit.

mount a skunk tomorrow!