1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

what tanning method do you use and why?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by coonhunt, Sep 10, 2009.

1. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

That
    That's from scratching your BUT Cole.......I guarantee it,s not the Krowtann .........
    Now I know your full of it LOL...........

2. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

just keep your hands away from your face lmao ;D

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Myself, I prefer pigeon 5hit. The natural oils in their excrement, provided by the sunflower seeds and popcorn the eat at the local park, give skins more stretch!

4. Where do you collect your pigeon chit from? I may try this method. Hell, it can't hurt, its just a customer skin.

5. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

i heard pigeon tan may not always work.......better play it safe.

Use Krowtann.

6. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

i was told that the best tan was a brain tan using mole brains!

7. TD

OS,I think Cole may have got a hold of some of that same tan and some one lied to him and said it was KT ;D

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Oh, it's Krowtann, it smells like that same shyt that my buddy brought and used in my shop a couple months ago.

It's "you were complaining", and I told you I didn't have a choice. They were brought in "already tanned". Of course they were just raw capes that had been soaked in that crap, no fleshing or shaving of any kind. (and it was supposed to save me time, LMAO, what a joke)

9. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Hey Cole, I don't know if I would call him a buddy after bringing that sh1t into my shop! LOL The pigeon sh1t tan probably smells better and works better. Just a guess. ;D

10. I use a chrome tan system, but also have used Lutan to good effect, though I don`t tan for taxidermy but for rugs and throws.

11. TD

Cole, I use KT nearly everyday and if it stayed on my hands like you say,My wife wouldn't even let me in the house.
    She kicks me out when I'm skinning fish. :)
    You will be smart to quit while you are ahead because there are tons of people that use Krowtann and everyone of them knows your full of it now............. ::)

Krowtann is soo easy,even a caveman can do it..........except for Cole................lol :-\ :-\ :-\

12. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

I know something just as easy. And , it don't smell.

13. TD

I had a Commercial tanned (Dry Tan) Elk that smelled ten time stronger than KT..........
    I didn't WHINE about it because as an experienced taxidermist,I knew the odor would disapate after it was mounted and dried............
    Stick you face in some Formic acid and that,ll knock your socks off too...........
    Some people may not like the smell of Liqua tan too because it has a certain odor but I dont CRY about that either..........
    I would like to see you guys skinning a Coyote,if you can't handle the smell of Krowtann lol............

14. TD

Now here's the man to listen to.........
    Monte that was a good system that you told me about,I mounted three deer with it and they done really nice.......
    I believe I could have gotten better results if I was able to control my water temp. though............

15. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Tom , water temp. is important. And , you know I use a no acid pickle for over 35 years. And I don't rush it.

16. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Tom so does kt stink or not to you? One time you say you don't think it has a bad smell and the next time you say this? It's not an opinion to me, it's a fact that kt sucks. It's not anything personal just my experience with it. Formic doesn't really stink it just takes your breath away. 20 years from now there will still be us that hate using inferior products and those of you that don't. To me if you are telling a customer that his hide is tanned, it's a fib. I'd say it is preserrved at best. Much like a taxidermist that uses another ones work to promote his own business.

17. TD

Yes,It does stink in the container but doesn,t stink when it is removed and washed and ready to mount...........(Stinks like money to me)
    I tell My customers the truth...............Some say it's tanned,Some say it's a partial Tann,Some say it's not tanned and that its a preservative,I tell them,even if it,s not a tann it is a fine imitation of a tann and it LASTS...........I also tell them that there are those that use it one time (or maybe two) and are totally against it............I also show them a piece of Liqua tan deer skin and a piece of Krowtan deer skin and they decide what they want to use in their shop............
    If you hate the product because of the smell in the bottle that's your mis fortune,,,,,,,,
    Mount a few more deer and then maybe you can debate KT with me..........as it is now your a rookie when it comes to KT........

18. TD

I can name a number stuff in your shop that stinks..............
    That mean your not going to use it?................

19. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You don't quit do you?

I just asked how to get the nasty smell off of my hands. I thought maybe someone here knew a trick I didn't, since as you say, I'm a "rookie". There are many more reasons I won't use KT other than just the smell.

20. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Hey! if it INVOLVES krowtann he doesn't quit :D I've NEVER had the smell of krowtann get on my hands ??? If you still STINK of your worse nightmare ,I guess you can try the skunk solution :-\