1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Bone from U.K.

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by lizzylampchops, Sep 12, 2009.

1. lizzylampchops

lizzylampchops New Member

Hi
    I don't know if this is strictly taxidermy but I am trying to get nice white fish bones.
    I am looking for some advise in how to find and preserve fish bones. I have been working at it for a couple of weeks. I have used fish like Salmon, Sea Bass and Halibut. I am not managed to get many big bones. I am not even sure if they are the type we are looking for.
    I am working for someone and they want jaws with teeth and bones approx 2-3 iches long. I jsut think they are kinda cool!
    We have been boiling them in salt water, then leaving in caustic acid, then bleaching in household bleach. This has caused some of the bones to turn a yellow brittle colour. We don;t know what is causing this! Is there any way of repairing them?
    Your help would be very much appreciated.[​IMG]

2. That's what your doing wrong.... Maceration, Dawn and Peroxide would be a WHOLE lot better.

3. lizzylampchops

lizzylampchops New Member

whats dawn? They dont have to be whole or anything. I dont have the time to do do beetles unfortunately.
    THer peroxide is a really good tip though. Can you buy it from the supermarket?
    How do you dispose of such strong chemicals? I have read they can get into rivers and seas and ultimately back into drinking water...

4. Yes you can use the brown bottle peroxide. Dawn is the brand name of a very good dishsoap that degreases well..

I would suggest you start reading up in this part of the forum with those words (maceration, dawn and peroxide) as search terms.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Lizzy, firstly, you have hidden all your information so there isn't much we can use to help you. Your terminology and title indicates that you are not in the USA perhaps? You need to fill in your info and email. It does help, really.

Pretty much, all that you have done is wrong. Simmering the bones in salt water isn't a bad first step after that, you are way off track. I'm not sure what you are using for "caustic acid". It isn't necessary and get rid of the chlorine bleach. Simmer your bones until they are clean and scrub off any remaining bits by hand. Then soak the bones in straight ammonia for a few weeks to get rid of the oil and grease in the bones. Fish have a LOT of oil in the bones and you have to get rid of it. Use the ammonia straight. Do not dilute it. You can also use a solution of Dawn. That is a strong dishwashing detergent. 1 cup in 5 gallons of water. If you can not locate Dawn, then use a very good and strong dish soap for hand washing. When the bones are free of oil, soak them for a few days in peroxide. You can use the type for cuts just let them soak a few days longer. You can pour the soap down the drain and the peroxide can be kept and re used over and over until it doesn't work any more.

Nothing that you use in doing this is harmful to the environment.

6. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Dawn is equivalent to our (uk) fairy liquid, and you can get peroxide at most chemists or hair product suppliers.

7. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

UK
    I would disagree with everyone personally.

In my exprerience fish bones need to be cleaned using beetles and degerased in ACETONE.
    Im guessing you dont have access to beetles so either find someone who will clean them or SIMMER in straight water, dont boil.
    Degrease in acetone. Fish bones are layered, even the jaws, if you degrease in warm water and dawn (washing up liquid) they will fall apart!

Here are a couple of results using the method i reccomend.

[​IMG]

Doctor fish

[​IMG]

Salmon. Probably the hardest thing I have ever articulated!

8. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Staffs, if read the whole original post, they don't want to do skeletons, just loose bones.
    Just cleaning loose bones like they showed in the picture does not need the use of beetles or the more delicate degreasers. :)

9. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

UK
    Tue. But if you're doing jaw bones with teeth, you will most likely lose them if you simmer or degrease that way. But you dont have to be as careful with the more robust stuff as you do with the skeletons.