1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

european mount/ elk ivories

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mcking, Sep 15, 2009.

1. mcking

mcking Member

i got a elk skull im doing for a european mount.. but the guy wants the ivories out..... ive never done it in this circumstance before... usually its leave the ivories in the euro mount or if its not a euro mount take the ivories out cut the skull plate off and trash the remains.... so in this case i need to remove the ivories without damaging the skull or ivories... how should i do this??? after i cook the skull to remove the meat will the ivories come out????????????? any info?

2. Richard B

Richard B Well-Known Member

If you cook the skull the ivories will come out.
    Here is a few more answers to the same question.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,106754.0.html

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Pliars....live dangerously :)

4. Gatorjaw

Gatorjaw New Member

It's easy, if the head is raw just take a knife and cut the ivory's out! Then rot the skull or however you do your cleaning. When it is finished make some new ivory's out of smoothout, sand to shape, then steel wool smooth, stain to your likeing and put them back. You can't mess up anything that can't be fixed'. Then charge your customer for it! Make sure he want's it done like that first!

5. JLG

JLG New Member

I agree a scalpel and some times pliers works for me. How ever if they want them out I don't waste time making new one to put back in the skull

6. sell him some replacement ivories so he can keep his. glue in the replacements. they are cheap.

7. Tricia

Tricia New Member

Spoken like some of the people that try to sell me ivories. Can you say "cracked"? LOL You have no clue how many are chipped or cracked and they want me to buy sight unseen. I may be female, but having a uterus doesn't mean I'm stupid. :p

Macerate or simmer the skull, work at it and you'll get them out fairly easily.