1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

shop talk

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mjsandt, Sep 16, 2009.

1. mjsandt

mjsandt New Member

I just bought a new building to work out of. its still small compared to some but Its nice for what I need. its a 12x16, how do you all heat your buildings, I don't want to pay for propane. I think a small wood stove would be feast or famine with the heat. I was leaning towards a couple baseboard heaters to set at around 50 when I'm not in and bump up to 65-70 when I need to. I have some radiator heaters, but i don't think I would want to leave them run all the time.
    your thoughts...

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I have a 12 x 20 shed I used to use for baby chicks.. A small electric heater would heat it up to very comfortable even in cold winter.. If you are in snow Id insulate it ...

3. mjsandt

mjsandt New Member

no snow, N.C. lows in the upper 20s only a week or two a year. average low is around 35 in a cold month, but will warm up to 50-60 durring the day.

4. gab

gab Active Member

lowes sells a window A/C unit that cools and heats for about$400

5. Brando24

Brando24 Member

My shop is around 12 x 20, and I have a 6 foot baseboard heater in it. Its runs on 220 and it heats it fine.

6. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

That's what I use in my shop and house. Works great and is decent on the electric bill.

7. Is that AC/Heat pump window unit a 110 or 220? I just got a 12 x 16 that I am currently wiring, and am fixin to have it spray insulated. I have really been leaning toward the window heat pump, but was wondering if I should wire in a 220

8. Becky P

Even if you decide against it I'd go ahead and wire for 220 anyway, never know when you might need/want it later.

This is what I have
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=250057-48789-FAZ12HS2A&lpage=none

9. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

mine is 220

10. Eric N

Eric N New Member

I worked out of a 12x16 for about a year in eastern NC. Mine was insulated well and I heated it with a 1500 watt plug in radiant heater from Wal-mart. For the most part, I never had to run it at night when I wasn't in there and it only took 15 or 20 mins. to bring the temp up to comfortable working conditions. The unit Becky speaks of will work great, but if you can only afford 1 then invest your money in A.C.

11. Im hooking up the wood stove that heats my house to the shop.

12. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

I am currently building my own shop which is 16'x16'. I bought an all in one heating/cooling unit at Home Depot. It is 110v. I can't tell you how well it works cause I don't have electric run yet. So I guess I'm not much help.

13. Becky P

Zimmie, I "thought" they made them in 110, thought I'd seen them online, but could not find one around here. Thanks

14. gab

gab Active Member

all of ours are 110

15. Zimmie

Zimmie Member

Becky, they are 110. I got mine at Home Depot. They don't stock them so you would have to order it.

16. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

I got a 12 X 12 shop . I use a Kerosene Heater in the winter and a 110 window AC in the summer .

17. My taxidermy shop is a renovated 20'x50' barn like structure with two rooms in it. It's still kinda under reconstruction, though it's come a long way since I first started fixing it up. I'm a carpenter for hire in the summer and I hardly have any time to work on my own building projests, till it's too friggen cold to do anything. Although, I do manage to steal time when I actually need it... I have an old (illegal!) wood stove in it and as MJS stated it's either feast or famine with the heat issues, though it's well insulated and I'm still working on that. And yet, it's still too small for me due to my large work load. Most of all the men up here hunt and I can't believe how many clients I get especially during hunting season!!! I'm planning on adding a 30' plus addition behind it in the spring. I live in remote Northeastern Maine and our winters up here are brutal. The thought of using just $$$-electric-$$$ heat scares me. Propane/natural gas is out of the question due to how much imported gas cost up here!!! Regular oil heat is a probable source of heat that I may look more into especially after the addition is up and maybe I'll put in a "legal," bigger wood stove as a back up in the northern far corner of the addition... I'm open to other possible suggestions as to how to better heat this (beast) place, but keep in mind that our winters are similar to living in Alaska, or better yet, Siberia, lol...

18. Becky P

Lazarine, if I had something that big, I'd definitely check into something other than electric heat. My shop is not that big so electric is fine.

Thanks Zimmie, hope I don't need another for a while but that's good to know for my mom. She has been talking about one but can't use a 220.

19. MJS, I would still insulate the crap out of it, I live in PA and have a shop thats 28 x 36 and the first year it was not insulated, I have a mid sized natural gas heater and even when it was 45 outside i had a heck of a time keeping it at 60 degrees in there, I since have put in 9 inches of insulation in the ceiling and insulated all the walls and when it is 10 degrees outside i can keep it at 65 degrees in there with the heater set fairly low. and in the summer time when its 85 degrees it stays nice and cool.

20. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I have a 30 x 50 building and to of the electric heaters with ac. the ac works great and my bill is around a hundred dollars a month with 4 freezers but the heaters bump it up to 250 or 300 and I still freeze to death. going to look at something a little different this year. Maybe a small wood stove I just hate the smell ect.