1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Should I tan these hides? Please help!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by whytail3912, Sep 17, 2009.

1. whytail3912

whytail3912 Member

I have 2 large (300lb) lifesize boar hides in the freezer that have been in there for about 3 years now, they belong to a friend who is unable to put the money into mounting them at this time, and we are unsure when this might happen. Should I let them in there frozen, how long will something keep like that? Or should I get them out and get them salt dried and store them or then wet tan and refreeze, or dry tan and store them in a box or back in the freezer? If they are dry tanned how soon do they have to be mounted? Right now they are just in the freezer in big garbage bags. Thanks, Doug

2. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

how good of friend is he? LOL they should last quite awhile in the freezer but if he hadn't put any money into them they would be taking up his freezer space not mine.

3. whytail3912

whytail3912 Member

Funny you ask.. it is his own freezer he gave me to use since he had no where to keep it when he finished his masters for wildlife biologist at OSU Oklahoma and moved to work in Houston,TX. He and I have best friends since high school and hunt/fish together when ever we can. He also sends me money on occasion to cover his ongoing taxidermy bill!

4. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

have him send ya a little money then and get them tanned and then you won't have to worry about them and they will probably take up less space.