1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

New or used and drying coffe grounds??

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by RoyalOaksRanch, Sep 17, 2009.

1. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Making some habitat and IM using the "secret dirt" recipe...

Not a coffee drinker so can I use new coffee grounds. Or do I need to run water thru them first? AND how long does it take for the coffee smell to leave the coffee grounds? Does it go away after they bake in the oven? I dont want my habitat smelling like a starbucks...

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

You can use used grounds. Just lay them out on a surface that they will dry without getting moldy to dry. And the smell goes away in a day or 2.

3. RDA

RDA Active Member

think potting soil or compost...

4. RoyalOaksRanch

Ive been using potting soil. But was wanting to try the "secret dirt" recipe...

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

She's talking about this one Ron.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,140701.0.html

It is used and re-dried coffee grounds! Ahhh … the addiction of being a coffee drinker! After you have finished your coffee, empty the grounds onto a piece of paper towel, lay it on a metal baking sheet or cookie sheet, and pop it in the oven at no more than 200-dgrees Fahrenheit for about an hour or so … until the grounds are nice and dry!

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Am I missing something?

7. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

No. After you make a pot of coffee you save the grounds and dry them out.

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Rae:

Go buy a bale of peat moss. Then, go to a home building supply and get a roll of gutter guard, which is simply 1/8" hardware cloth. Make a wooden frame out of 2 x 4's and staple the cloth to the bottom...you now have a "sifter". Grab a chunk of peat moss, grate it over the hardware cloth, and you will have a tremendous volume of uniform, high quality dirt...I use gallons of it annually...I will post a picture of my "grater" later.

9. RoyalOaksRanch

Joeym That sounds interesting :) Ill hit the nursery and see what they have for peat moss.. I have plenty of hardware cloth.. Hopefully its the same as what you have..
    Cant wait to see your pics :) Can you show what it looks like when you are done grating it?

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Oh, okay ::) ::)

11. RoyalOaksRanch

My mom and sister drink coffee so I asked them to save their used grounds for me :)

12. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

All I use is peat moss also. A lot of times I'll forgo the sifting for a more natural forest floor look!

13. RoyalOaksRanch

Never used peat moss before so is there something I should look for such as a certain coarsness or does it matter?

14. Kevin Halle

I just grab whatever is the cheapest at Lowes. When I want to use some I just put it under a heat lamp to dry well before using. You'll want to check for insects while it is drying and spray if needed.

15. RoyalOaksRanch

OK Went to the local nursery bought a small bale I will Try it and see how it comes out :)
    IM gonna put it in the oven and Ill watch for bugs.. Its a rather small habitat IM doing so wont take much.. Hopefully it wont stink up the house too bad LOL..

16. Kevin Halle

Post some pics when done!!

17. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Rae...you owe me...I smell like a fish, and it is late here, but I went back out and shot a picture of my sifter with a recently completed habitat in the background. The wire I used can be purchased from Van Dykes...it is used for fin carding. The current item # for it is BR-102792, which is a 1' X 3 ' piece of this fine mesh hardware cloth...it cost $3.99...on page 218 of the 2009 catalog. You will be able to produce large volumes of dirt with the peat moss.

[​IMG]

18. RoyalOaksRanch

I went and got the peat moss,, its currently drying in the oven and I must say it looks GOOD .. Cant wait to try it on the base tomorrow :)

19. RoyalOaksRanch

Here is the dirt habitat :)

[​IMG]

20. Kevin Halle

That looks good Rae. It's an inexpensive way to do a floor ;)