1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

African Skins: How long will it stay good after just dip & pack?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by texastorn, Sep 18, 2009.

1. texastorn

texastorn New Member

Sorry if this one's been asked before but I couldn't find an answer on the forums...

Anyone know how long a hide, a hyena in this case, can still be tanned and mounted if it is only dipped and packed?

Like most african trophies this one took a while to get back (close to 2 years) and the taxidermist said they won't know if it's any good until it goes to the tannery. Any idea how long a hide will be good if it is just dipped and packed? And any signs I should look for on the hide itself that might indicate it is going bad?

Any help from the experts would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. I mounted a Bantang that had been salted for over fifteen years last year. It had been stored in a dry climate and it soaked up and tanned just fine. If it was salted and dried out hard and you don't see red mold on it, it probably will be fine. Hope this helps.

3. texastorn

texastorn New Member

Thanks oldmantwo, that does help. Hopefully it's still good so I can finally get it mounted.

Have a great weekend!

4. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

make sure it gets to a high quality tanner. They can have a lot of fat in the skin.