1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dry Preservative

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by beagle77, Sep 19, 2006.

1. beagle77

beagle77 Rabbit Hunting

Hey guys, for the past year I've been using dry preservative from Dan Chase. I mounted a few rabbits, pheasants and turkeys and had great results. Has anybody had any negative results? I also want to mount coyotes and foxes when I get lucky with hunting. I have the videos on how to mount these animalsand they're absolutely wonderful.

2. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

As you can see here, a certain name :-X is not allowed on this forum. Reason being is found in the links and copywrite laws. ::)
    Any way just to answer your question many use Dp with no ill results. I used to use it but after learning on how to tan a hide there is nothing like it. I never went back to Dp. ;D

3. B KENNEDY

B KENNEDY “THE YOUNG GUN”

OHIO
    I still use it now and then. I only use it on squirrels and birds. Have not tried it on any thing else. Maybe one day. So to answer your question always good luck with DP but I like to work with a tanned hide better.

4. DP works fine we still use it on birds just havent found the tan we like for them without them coming out oily looking.An on small game mounts. But tanning is the way to go on lifesize and gameheads is have alot more working time.I say use DP if you want as long as you want but when you are ready to take your stuff to the next level try a tanned hide.

Just my 2 cents!!

Have a great day!
    Kim Collins
    Bubba's Taxidermy

5. RLDILWORTH

RLDILWORTH LIFE MEMBER NRA AND NTA

Dp, works great on small critters. Beavers, otters, skunks, and any animal larger that 30 pounds, would best be wet- tanned by a good tanner. Many guys still use dp for deer heads and other large game, I'll bet that it is a cost measure and not a quality control concern. If want Quality work, then do what the experts do (recommend). Many things have changed over the years, 20 years ago most of us did not use wet-tanning nor did we use cell phones. As time goes by things change, the tanning process has seen many changes in new technology. New methods can work wonders. However, keep in mind it helps to be well educated in taxidermy history and the lessons learned over the years. Many OLD farts still use old methods with outstanding results. It takes time and skill to master this art form. Old pro's have learned many lessons the hard way. Find many ways to do something and choose the best way for yourself.

6. beagle77

beagle77 Rabbit Hunting

Thanks for the information. I'm sorry for putting the name out. I didn't even realize it. Thanks again.

7. oldterryr

oldterryr Terry's in Heaven with no worries at all.

i tan coyotes and foxes because of the slippage problem - if you work qucikly though there is no reason not to use it on all small mammals