1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Tanning Birds

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by DustyVinci, Sep 20, 2009.

1. DustyVinci

DustyVinci Masquerade! Paper faces on parade!

I've gotten the hang of tanning mammals but I'd really like to be able to tan birds now. For mammals, I use McKenzie tan.

Any recommendations on what to use for birds? Anyone have any advice, techniques, etc.? Right now I don't have a clue of what to do. I just read something about Borax or something. Is tanning birds easier and cheaper than tanning mammals? I'd like to know the easiest and cheapest way to tan birds out there, if possible :) Thanks!

2. Monte

Monte Missouri fur-Limited hair-tanning

Dusty, are you tanning them to mount or just for display? Feathers on or off?

3. DustyVinci

feathers on. I didn't know there would be much difference between tanning for display and mounting. I guess display for now. Maybe mounting later on :)

4. DustyVinci

I got a pheasant skin in the mail that is supposed to be preserved and was soaked in borax. But the flesh side seems to be really powder-y. Should it be like this? I didn't get an answer from the guy which is why I'm asking here. Could I hang the skin on my wall and it'll be fine?