1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Scrimshaw

Discussion in 'Wildlife Artwork and Crafts' started by Bakes, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Folks, are there any "How to" web sites out there for scrimshaw? I had a bit of a google but only came up with sites selling it.

2. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

i did some, check boy scout websights

3. Thanks mate. I'll check them out.

4. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

got this at my local Order of the Arrow Lodge's sight...

Taking a scribing tool, scribe the basic outlines of the design you want into the ivory/horn. Any design will do, though nautical themes are more traditional. Once the basic outline has been scribed, move on to the detail work. Examples of this would be the rigging on the ship, or the waves on the ocean. This may require a scribe with a smaller point.

Once the design has been scribed, the piece can then be inked using bottled artist's ink or other similar colorings. The ink will only set into the lines that have been scribed. Using a cotton swab, dip the end of the swab into the ink. Carefully dab the ink into the scribed design, continuing until the entire design has been inked. Then let the ink dry. Once the ink has dried, the excess can be wiped off with a soft cloth.

what your gonna need is ivory or ivory substitute or horn, ink, cotton swabs, soft cloth, knife/needle/or other scribing tool

5. Thanks mate. Sounds simple, I thought it would be a bit more detailed. I have one old scrub bull horn (don't even remember where I got it from.) Thought I may have a crack at it on that and hang it over the bar.

6. pictures when you're done! :D

7. stampnducks

stampnducks New Member

Utah
    Check out you tube. There is some info there.

8. Thanks. :) I have a few other sites bookmarked too. Come xmas I think the grandparents are gonna be surprised. :) Hope they still dig games... ;D