1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Critique please

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by axe8, Sep 22, 2009.

1. axe8

axe8 New Member

TX
    Okay, I put my original post in the wrong category so I am re-posting in hopes of a critique. This is my second deer. I've watched the Rick Carter video over and over and read a great deal of posts on this site and appreciate all of the information available to us newbies.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OK, This thread has been looked at 78 times and nobody has posted yet so I guess I will. At first glance and my first thoughts were that wow its better then most that have done 100 mounts. I must say it is very nice for your second deer.

The honest critique, you have a lot to fix on your next one.

1. eyes are not set the same

2. his right eye has more clay then the left, causing problems w/ shape of the lids and alignment of hide.

3. the nose looks over tucked.

4. color of nose pad looks to dark (might be the flash) if your using black? , don't

5. lower lip is not tucked evenly

6. the left ear and butt - not to crazy about the rotation of the ear, it looks odd. The butt also looks to long, something about the shape.

7. in the blue circle - taxi problems. you have a lot of hide bunched up. Move some of this forward and some forward / down toward the brisket area to reduce the bunching.

8. grooming in the lower neck and brisket needs work.

I hope this helps.

Attached Files:

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

JP, damned if you don't have good eyesight. You're seeing a whole lot of stuff I'm missing even AFTER you explain it. I don't know where the "nose looks overtucked" comes from nor the "bunching up" on the shoulder(Even with your marks I don't see that. A deer with a left turn SHOULD have some layering of hair with a winter coat and those waves would be visible.). As for the "personal" likes and dislikes, they don't belong in a critique. Surprisingly, I have had deer with all black noses. I, too, don't like them that way but if it WAS that way and the customer asks for it that way, he gets it that way. The grooming on the brisket is 1 and the eyes being uneven with clay is 2. I can't see the bottom lip well enough to make that call.

4. George, I'm a little younger so my eye site is not as bad as yours. ;D

The bunching is inside the blue circle ,The blue marks/arrows are pointing the direction in which the hide should be taxied. Even if the deer should have ripples when turned, this deer is not turned hard enough to have them all the way up on his shoulder.

Here is a pic of the lower lip that is uneven.

Attached Files:

5. trophylodge

trophylodge Member

The nosepad nodules look spaced too far apart.

6. Here are two pics of deer with hard turns that you would think should have the layering/ripples or what ever you want to call it at the base of the neck, But I don't see it George. ?At best the second deer has one big roll.

Attached Files:

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You're right, my eyes are old. That's why I have progressive lenses. If you'll note, I've outlined the areas (defined by pips) where I "see" wrinkles and waves.

Attached Files:

8. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

OMG!!! Uncle George is using those gasoline azz red lines!

9. supdavetax

supdavetax New Member

If that is the edge form by rick carter it has a lot of detail in that area. Have not enough exp. to critique. NICE MOUNT.

10. axe8

axe8 New Member

TX
    Thank you all for the comments. I looked at it closer this morning and can see a little problem with the bunching and the hide being to high up on the sholder and the problem with the brisket. The nose color is not that black when looking at it directly but will watch out for that and nodule spacing on my next one. Again, thanks for the comments and the feedback many of you provide regularly.

11. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

try Yox nose pad grey and touching every single nodule.

12. Riverland

Riverland New Member

I like the crooked lip in the second live deer.

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Riverland, damned if you don't have good eyesight. LMAO

JohnL, You did good. I wish my second came out as good as yours. There are some issues (that have been pointed out already), but they are minor.
    Can't wait to see your 3rd, I'm sure it will look great. ;)

14. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

John, I think you did an awesome job on your 2nd deer, and I think J P gave you a great critique.

15. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

John: You certainly paid attention to detail for your second mount. You are well on your way. good luck and great good, they well get better and better.

16. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

X2
    BUT
    I agree with JPB.

You're on your way.

17. slider

slider What do you mean I have to press 1 for english..

If thats your 2nd one I want to see some future ones...Great job...

18. X2

19. axe8

axe8 New Member

TX
    Thanks for the feedback. I hope to be starting one for my father inlaw in the next week or two