1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2 questions

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by done right taxidermy, Sep 23, 2009.

1. done right taxidermy

done right taxidermy New Member

first question is what causes brown to flesh color spots in the cape while im shaveing out of the pickle? 2 ow do i keep skin from getting in between my pulley and bely while im shaveing? seems like when im rough shaveing the bigger slices get caught and make the machine vibrate. it is a dakota 5 thanks for the help

2. done right taxidermy

done right taxidermy New Member

sorry i meant BELT. how do i keep skin from getting between my pulley and belt.

3. Get a new machine... Seriously... I used one of them... What a piss poor design...

The colored spots sound like unpickled spots. Just shave and it will pickle when you put it back in... Usually its under a spot where meat or membrane was left before salting.

4. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

In my opinion, the colored spots, are often bruising, created by the tremendous energy of bullet impact. Could be what Shelby said also?

The pickle, works from the hair side of a cape, as well as the skin side.

If you take a REAL thick skin, rehydrate, and pickle it, and cut out a cross section, you will see 3 layers(before shaving-lets use an oryx for an example). White on the hair side, white on the skin side, and a yellowish area in the middle. The area in the middle, has not been fully re hydrated yet. Luckily for us, the pickle works from both sides of the skin, or we would all have a whole lot of trouble tanning thick skins, and keeping the hair intact. :)

5. I agree OS... The Brown part could be bruising, but the Flesh (I am assuming Pink) sounds more like unpickled or a combonation.

6. About the meat getting into the belt. Try building a guard to cover the belt and pully. This might be kind of tough with the belt being enclosed inside the frame or the down tube. I would try and put a thin plate or piece of wood above the pully on the fleser side and cut a door in the down tube so you can open it up to clean the flesh off the plate. !!Might be way off but maybe!!