1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What Termostat Do You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by s+t skulls, Sep 23, 2009.

1. 1st off I've found idea's in the archives but no name brands.

I'm setting up a chest freezer to hold roughly 4000 beetles this year. i have a very old well insulated freezer that I'm setting up an air exchange system in, (that part i have figured out) but when it comes to picking the right thermostat to use to control my ceramic heat emitter i cant quite come to a conclusion on whats a reliable unit to buy. The hope is to have the unit inside the top of the freezer due to it could have to go outside, could this cause as malfunctions of the thermostat? Any and all help on what you would recommend to use is greatly appreciated and the $ factor isn't there if I'm getting a reliable thermostat that will last. THANKS!

2. Colonel

Colonel Missouri River Rat

I simply used a house thermostat for heat only. It was under $15 bucks and works quite well.

3. ndindy

ndindy New Member

I'm using whatever line level thermostat they had for sale at lowes. It's intended to control electric baseboard style heater so it handles straight 110v and isn't limited to low voltage furnace type stuff. It was around $15-20 if I remember right.

4. When using a household thermostat whats involved? mount thermostat wire to relay, then to power? Where do you get a relay and what relay do you need?

5. ndindy

ndindy New Member

I think you would have to run a relay. Your regular furnace 'stat carries very low voltage through tiny wires. Trying to run 110 through it would let all the magic smoke out, and then start a fire :) You should be able to find a 110 stat at radio shack.

And *I think* you would need a low level voltage source to feed through the stat itself. They don't generate any electricity into the circuit, only allow it. So you'll need some voltage to feed the relay through thermostat.

I could be wrong about that one though. Main reason I picked up the line level, didn't have to do anything special.

6. Colonel

You can buy 110v household thermostats. Look at Home Depot, Lowes, Menards, etc, etc...

7. BeerHunter14

BeerHunter14 Member

Go to the ebay link below. You can get the one for 26.99 and you can hard wire right into your heater with no other additions needed. The more expensive one has the wiring done and you just plug in.

if it doesnt work put "barn thermostat" in the search.

I have had these running for 2 years with ceramic heater fans and have had no problems.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=barn+thermostat&_armrs=1&_from=R4&_ipg=

8. Colonel

http://cgi.ebay.com/110V-Honeywell-Thermostat-Outdoor-Wood-Furnace-Boiler_W0QQitemZ190290659409QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c4e350851&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

9. brandi

brandi New Member

PA
    when you buy one make sure its LINE VOLTAGE. which means it doesnt need a transformer.