1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question on high strength peroxide(27%+).

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Michelle_Nelson, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I use B.O that is 27% peroxide to whiten my skulls. My question is when you guys pull your skulls out of the peroxide what do you do with them?

Do you soak them in fresh water for any length of time if so how long?

Pull them out of the peroxide and put them directly in the sun until dry.

Pull them out of the peroxide and set them in the shop to dry?

If you pull the skull directly out of the peroxide and let dry does the peroxide neutralize once the skull is dry? Or does it continually work like bleach woud?

2. Colonel

Colonel Missouri River Rat

Mine go directly to hot tap water and stay until they stop bubbling. Once they stop bubbling the peroxide is gone and outside to dry they go.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Same as Colonel. Peroxide breaks down to Hydrogen and water. Nothing harmful there at all. The hot water gets it to break down a bit faster and *maybe* helps to whiten just a little more. Maybe not, but watching the fizz is fun. If you just set them out to dry, same thing. Once dry, it's gone. It does not continue to be active the way chlorine does.

4. Skull Farmer

Skull Farmer New Member

Their right on, wash and let the sun go to work. I won't take the skull out of the peroxide until the sun is shining around noon.

5. TnT Mounts

TnT Mounts Where Every Animal is a Trophy

I take mine out of the peroxide and place directly under a heat lamp.
    After a day or 2 under the heat lamp I rinse them off with hot water
    to remove any residue that may be on them.

6. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

So how long do you guys rinse or let the skulls set in hot water befor taking them out to dry.

Why rinse the skulls in hot water if putting them directly in the sun does the same thing and no harm is done to the skull?

7. Colonel

Mine stay until they stop bubbling. When there is no bubbling the peroxide has broken down and is harmless. I think.. (This is my personal opinion) that the hot water makes the leftover peroxide speed up the final whitening and helps get a cleaner, whiter skull once it has dried.

8. Sea Wolf

I can just as easily just rinse them and put them aside to dry. It probably makes no difference. The sun does little or nothing. It is not the sunlight, but HEAT that makes the peroxide work harder. I rinse them very well because I have handled skulls that were fast rinsed and still had enough peroxide in them that I got burned fingers when moving them while still wet.

9. Since the heat from the sun dries the H2O2 and whitens at the same time-- I don't see the need to rinse in hot water first-- seems a waste of time that
    could be used more productively doing something else.

If you are only doing an occasional skull-- and you want to do the wash in hot water step-- that's fine-- BUT I'm still cleaning up skulls from last years
    hunting/trapping season and the 09-10 deer season is already 2 weeks old--

By the way-- did you read about the accused terrorist arrested recently in NYC?? One of the things that brought attention to him was his purchase of a quantity of
    35% peroxide--as I mentioned some time ago-- when you make a purchase of high concentration H2O2, the folks charged w/ keeping us safe see it as a red flag and want to investigate as to why?? I'll stick w/ BO-- and its 27% solution thanks
    ORG

10. I ain't no terrorest, but they can come look at what I am doing any time they want. I hope they have a strong stomach. bug bins and maceration buckets can bring out the best in some people. But I don't use the 35%, have not looked for any.

11. Sea Wolf

Actually, the sun provides little or no heat to a white skull. Tossing it into a bucket of hot water to rinse itself while going off to do something else certainly isn't a waste of time. Rinsing off the peroxide just saves burnt fingers when handling it later if it's still wet. If the heat from the hot water works to activate the peroxide further, even better.

As for 35% ? Can't see why when the BO is more than enough. That already stings like hell if you get it on you. I wouldn't care too see what 35% feels like. Bigger and badder isn't always better. :)

12. Colonel

That is exactly why I do a hot soak with them.