1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How to stop tanning items from floating

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by rasorbackq, Sep 27, 2009.

1. I have a DVD and buddy uses a wooden frame as a weight to submerge his hides.
    I know that the container shouldn't be made of metal but would screws in the wood affect the pickle or tan? If so some suggestions would be nice. What i did last time was 2 shorter pieces of wood sitting on top of 2 longer with weight pop bottles on the shorter pieces. It worked but something must be better.

2. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Just fill up Milk jugs full of water and use them as a weight..........

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Let them float! As long as you turn them over 1-2 times a day they will be fine. I usually make it a rule to do it when I first come in the Shop, and then check the pH. Using devices to weigh them down simply become cumbersome and awkward to deal with, and I dont consider them necessary. Too much extra work. Tanneries dont use them when they pickle statically either!

4. X2

5. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

all you need to do is listen to Bruce Rittel. he is the most knowledgable person on this site when it involves tanning. bar nun!

6. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I use plastic grid sheets from craft stores, then weight them down with a gallon jug containing pickle...so if it leaks out, it won't dilute the batch

7. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Actually i dont use Milk jugs either..........I turn the hair side up and just keep the skin side down on the first soak..........Keep it agitated and after the 2nd day I dont worry with it because its already saturated.........

8. If a hide isn't in the solution it is subject to not getting pickled quick enough and slipping IMO. maybe I worry to much, but I will keep mine submerged and still flip it around for the first few days.

9. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I take a plastic lid of a rubber made tub, cut holes all over in it, then set milk jugs full of water on top to hold them down.. Works real well and the holes allow the thing to sit down further under the solution... If I have a bunch of tubs going I end up using milk jugs...

10. procull

procull QLD WILD GAME HARVESTER

i just hack the bottom out of a plastic bread crate and use half a brick on top

11. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

Be careful "procull"! The acid can leach out the alkaline in a brick and raise the pH of your pickle. If you insist on weighing them down, use a plastic jug filled with water instead.

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Nice try Bruce, but sometimes a true chemist doesn't stand a chance with the rocket scientists. ROTFLMAO In the old days, every 2-3 hours we had to go out with a boat paddle and stir them in the pickle. Don't you guys even agitate your solutions?

13. The Only hides I weight down are the dry salted ones in the rehydrator. Use a lid off a heavy duty tub that has a good lip with a couple paver bricks on top. Everything else gets stirred 1 or more times a day. No problems. It would be a PITA if I had to move a board and bricks 2 times a day to cover a vat at night just to take them off in the morning to work with the skins/vat.

Even Antelope- that float like styrofoam- will pickle just fine...

14. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Craptan solution is super saturated with salt...everything floats, nothing sinks!

15. procull

procull QLD WILD GAME HARVESTER

thanks Bruce , didnt even think about that one , brick now back on pile .
    cheers mate

16. nitt

nitt Member

Plastic is your best bet anything porious will soak up tanning solution

17. Thanks guys for the info I like the ideas of a tote box lid weighted with a jug . I always stir at least once a day.

18. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    let it float ,

19. jrichartz

jrichartz Wyoming mule deer

just let them float and stir 1 - 2 times daily they will pickle just fine. I own Kettle Falls tannery and that's is how we have done it for the past 9 years with out any problems. I would go crazy wasting all that time moving things back a forth. just maintain your PH and do not let them dry out

20. Some of you are saying let them float, and I know this is what you do but do you really think it is the best way to do it? It just seems that having the hide in the pickle would pickle it better ???. Air doesn't pickle.