1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Turkey Pitching

Discussion in 'Bird Reference Photos' started by steveingeneva, Sep 28, 2009.

1. steveingeneva

steveingeneva New Member

Does anyone have a ref. photo of an actual wild turkey preparing to pitch down. I dont think anyone has ever captured this attitude on "film". I know basically what they are supposed to look like, but wanted to see real thing. thanks

2. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what you mean by pitch down, but my wild x heritage turkeys fly up to the roof and then back down on a regular basis. I have seen what they do a lot of times but they won't cooperate when it comes to getting photos of them flying. Coming down, they typically jump into the air and then flap and glide about 50 or 75 feet, flaring and then landing just like a pheasant would.
    In all aspects of their flight they behave exactly like other upland birds, so if you can find a photo of a pheasant or grouse - or even a quail! - in the position that you want it should be close enough to use as basic reference.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

I think he is refering to the little squat then waddle they do just prior to jumping and no I haven't seen any pics of that.