1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Percentage of taxidermists women?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by aimeeoutdoors, Sep 28, 2009.

1. I'm going to be doing interviews for the local media outlets, and I'm sure they're going to focus on the fact that I happen to be a woman. Does anyone know what percentage of taxidermists are women these days?

Thanks in Advance,

Aimee

2. juliecolorado

juliecolorado savagetaxidermy.com

Don't have a number for you but I suspect there are more women than one would think. Just on Taxi.net alone will give you a hint. Good luck on the interview, always nice to see. Have a good week. Julie

Julie Savage
    www.savagetaxidermy.com

3. There are several on here so maybe get that number at least.

Kim
    Bubba's Taxidermy

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Based on participation at seminars and workshops, I would say that 15-20% of taxidermists are women.

5. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

I would have said 10%. I think a lot of the women at seminars are wives, who help their husbands ... so I guess they're taxidermists too ... guess it could be as much as 20% ??

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

The ratio of men to women registered on this site is 6.3:1. That's like 15.8% women, which is higher than I would have expected, but probably pretty accurate.

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

BUT how many on here are actually Taxidermists?

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I would assume the ratio of registered members is similar to the ratio of actual taxidermists. It seems to me that it would be a fairly accurate way to determine the number of female taxi's.

9. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

I would guess that the proportion of women hunters to women taxidermist would be similar, just a guess. Glad we have as many women in the sport as it does help that other population know that it's not just some ego man thing and all. Hunting is for the whole family, more should get involved and so more taxidermist would be needed and woman in this Art are as good as any man I have seen, doing the same.

Steve

10. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

wasn't there a poll on here some time ago?

11. ReporterSr

ReporterSr If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

Ok, I'm a registered member of this site but strictly an amateur. I work at taxidermy on a volunteer basis. Do you want a number for all of us who dabble in it or only those who actually sell their work?

12. Thanks for the replies. I did the interview, and they're going to put it in the paper just before hunting season starts. I was looking for the number of licensed taxis that do it for a living. I guessed around 10% or so, but told the media I was not sure of the exact number. I could care less that I'm a woman taxidermist, I just consider myself a taxidermist. I have a lot to learn of course!

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Out of registered members here it's:
    Male to Female Ratio: 6.2:1
    but I'm sure they aren't all taxidermists.

I had several people during this past week at my booth that just could not believe that I'm the taxidermist and not my husband. If I do it again, I might just get a shirt or apron that says "I'm the taxidermist" with an arrow pointing up. LOL

14. BWS

BWS New Member

I know what you mean Becky...LOL...if you get you one of those shirts, get me one too!

15. I saw a cute shirt on cafepress.com that said Taxidermy Chick on it. Might have to get it. lol I've had a couple of old men look at my fiance like they think he's a sissy that I'm the taxidermist in the family. Oh well, there's always going to be a few that don't accept it.

16. I hear ya Aimee, my hubby's friends always joke with him saying that I'm more manly than him! ;)

I'd love to see a shirt with graphics on it that said something like:

"I can kill it, skin it, cook it, and mount it...what else could you possibly want in a woman?!"

LOL

;D

17. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

While hubby was in my booth, all questions were directed at him, LOL, he'd piont to me or I'd just start answering, that blew a few's minds. When he wasn't there I had several come by and ask if "he" did x. Then had one that kept coming by but wouldn't say much then I finally kinda cornered him and of course he wanted to know if hubby did x and how long, blah blah blah. When I told him I did it, he was shocked but then opened up and started talking. I think he kept coming by hoping he'd catch hubby here so he could talk to "the taxidermist" instead of the taxidermist's wife, LOL. Maybe I'll get hubby a shirt too except his will say "the taxidermist's husband" LOL

18. I hear yall on this subject if one more guy calls and say can I talk to someone about getting something mounted I am going to lay into them. I love it when I tell them I am also a taxiermist along with my husband and hey say are you kidding. But I guess folks just dont think of women in hunting much less taxidermy.
    Kim

19. I get the same thing when I answer the phone in Chris' shop and give advice on caring for specimens or whatever. Many of his clients don't know I am a taxidermist, also, and ran my own shop a few years in the 80's, before I elected to specialize in rug making.

20. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

LOL I sell that shirt in the cafe press thing...
    Ive been telling that to hubby for years now LOL
    http://www.cafepress.com.au/royaltaxidermy.252578472#

The price is 20.99 though some reason cafe press shows it as 25.50 Weird...