1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Worlds largest snake over 50'

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by iowalongbeards, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Listen closely to the guy taping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqg3Pg2M9WU

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Cute, but......

Although the anaconda (snake in video) is the largest (by weight) snake in the world, it is the burmese python that is the longest snake in the world......AND....none have been found that large. I believe the longest is around 30 feet, maybe a little larger.

:)

Kerby...

3. Brian

Brian Active Member

kerby, all that i have ever reserached says that the longest snake in the world is the reticulated python. bronx zoo had one 32. 5 feet. burmees are more common with hobbyists around here but i beg to differ and say the longest are the retic. later, brian

4. Kerby Ross

You are right,...

The reticulated python is the longest. But when researching it appears there was a really large one found but hard to get anything verified. LOL

It is like a competition between herpetologists, either way, that is a whole lot of snake.

I wonder how big they were 150 years ago before human intervention? The reason I ask is because rattlesnake roundups are now producing fewer snakes and definitely smaller snakes. In Arizona it is hard to find a large rattlesnake on public land, most are coming off private land where the rattlesnake has fewer chances of a human encounter. Just like huge catfish, most state records aren't nearly as big as pictures from the late 1880's that were caught in the rivers. Snakes live a long time, and in order to get big in the wild, they have to avoid human contact......now captive breeding is a different story - obese snakes for sure LOL

Kerby...

5. Brian

Brian Active Member

thanks kerby . hey kerby being your a military man and snake man did you ever hear the rumour that a Air force pilot caught a snake approx 70 feet long on a routine survaliance picture type mission or something in africa. i mean i doubt 70 feet plus africas longest is what the african rock pyhton that resemble a burmese kind of. i dont by it but was wondering if you ever heard that rumour. and id say back in the day they were way bigger. could you imagine a 35 anaconda or a 45-50 foot reticluated. whed be screwed one on one with them boys.

6. I know this snake is not 50' long or the worlds largest .
    I just posted this for fun . My boys jumped both times they watched it .

7. Kerby Ross

Brian,

I never heard that story, but just like the stories of divers doing repair work near a dam and coming back up saying they saw a catfish bigger than them. I've seen a lot of 40, 50, and 60 pounders in Kansas, and none of them were bigger than me LOL

I'm sure in the 1880's there were some big ones around.

Kerby...

8. "I wonder how big they were 150 years ago before human intervention"

To true mate. I watched a herp doco that said it was getting harder to find REAL big scrub pythons in the wild. Most are maxing out at 5.5-6 meters. There have been accounts of them in the "Olden days" to going about 8 meters+. Its a shame.

9. hidetanner1967

hidetanner1967 New Member

It's sad the way we humans are killing off species that are thousands or millions of years old. I talk to people all the time about snakes and most people just want to kill them. They don't realize just what a great benefit to humans a snake can be. My 16 year old son is an amateur herpitologist. He knows pretty much everything about snakes and lizards. He constnatly tries to convince the "old timers" here in MS not to kill the snake if you are not gonna eat it. By the way, snake tastes great, not at all like chicken.

Oh yeah, thanks for the video. I jumped and I know when my boys see it they will too.

10. I had to convince (order) my troops to stop running over every snake they saw on night shift. Once I had shown them the difference between a python and a brown snake they would call me up when ever they saw one or bring it to me to look at.

11. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

UK
    Too true but people just dont see it.