1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Antelope

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by mjsandt, Sep 29, 2009.

1. mjsandt

mjsandt New Member

I will be doing my first antelope soon. I was told by someone that there is a gland in the cheek area that will stink if not fleshed down well. I read the post M.P. put up with the drilling of the skull to mark position. any other tips?

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

If you have never prepped one, that gland cannot be seen from the flesh side. If you run your fingers on both the hair side and flesh side, you will feel the thickness of the glands. You need to cut them out and make sure to rub salt in them well. Mark the horns prior to removing them by marking 3 spots around each horn, then I drill three small holes spaced evenly around the horns. I drill through the horns into the cores. Then when I re-attach them with resin, I line those holes up and put a small ring-shank nail through them flush. Make sure your bit is just a tad smaller than you nail. The hair around the horn will hide them.

3. Scott Musgrave

Scott Musgrave Little Wildcat Creek Taxidermy, Sharpsville, IN.

Just as Matt said, I use a piece of plastic placed between the manikin and skull plate complete the eye socket, let it harden and remove plastic. Don't know if it helps just the way I did mine.

Attached Files: