1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail forms

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Mountain Dog, Sep 29, 2009.

1. I have a question about ordering forms. I have a deer that measured 15" behind the ears, do I order a form the same size, or 2" smaller? I have been told both ways. Just wondering from you guy's what you do. All I have mounted before I have ordered the actual size and had to stretch the cape to fit. What do you all do?

Thanks,
    Joe

2. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

one inch smaller.

3. i order to size

4. Matt

Matt New Member

Order to size if you can.

5. on a 15" neck, 2" is a BIG deal. if you order a 13" you are setting yourself up for a customer complaining that it looks like a doe with antlers. now if it was a 23" cape and you ordered a 22" that not as big of a deal or noticeable. althought if that was the case i would order a 23" form stretch it real good with my arms so that it was about 23.5" and I would have a perfect fit ( given it wasn't a McKenzie, b/c they just dont ever fit perfect)

6. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I order the size that fits... never understood why youd make it smaller

7. get the size that fits and use a tire tub on it. stick the tub into the neck after your preped to mount air a lot of air that will stretch the thing go have somethin to eat come back let the air out stick it on your form . use a beach ball on cats or yotes works great. mark c

8. HAPP

HAPP Active Member

Order to size.

9. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Hmm...... 1/4" to 1/2" smaller nose to eye(I like 1/2" ) If measuring neck (meat) I order the same,if skin I order 1" smaller.

10. please explain why you guys use a smaller form.Is it to allow for the cape the shrink or b/c it easier to work the skin. ( again not trying to be a smart ass) I am curious of you guy thoughts on the issue. Not doubt it would be easier .......but i didn't get into taxidermy b/c i thought it would be easy.

11. rj9289

Rooster, ill tell you why i do it..

it makes for an easier fit.
    you will never have any drumming as far a muscle detail goes.
    i may be wrong on this one but ill put it out there anyway.....after it is sewed up you dont have the cape pulling on the stitches as much....therefore 10 years down the road it will be less noticiable. Its like you ordering two shirts, a medium and a small. the medium buttons up nice and easy down the front. the small buttons but you dont have as much slack....so your beer gut is going to show better...
    the smallest of a form we ordered last year was a early season velvet buck...and it was ordered to size.
    All of the others were from 19 inch forms to 23 inchers.

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

hmmmmm...something seems very familiar about this thread...I just can't put my finger on it. ???

13. rj9289

Lmao cole. seems like we just had this conversation last week....???

14. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Because they are newbies.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

LMAO

16. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

::)
    I don't know about YOU ,but I order my form to fit the INSIDE of the skin and NOT the OUTSIDE.Whether or not YOU can stretch a skin to fit the OUTSIDE measurements ::) I don't.I stick with what the deer was BEFORE and NOT try to make it BIGGER cause of the EXTRA stretch ::) As for ordering a form 1" smaller for TANNED SKIN that gives you a 1/2" on both sides of your seam.

17. whatever the measurements are that's the form I order. I only use short incisions. "never" had one that didn't fit. or any issue after it dried.with proper cape prep you shouldn't have any issues!

18. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

When you measure a tanned cape, you measure the inside you doofus. Do yourself a favor and drop it, before you totally lose all credibility. I'll go out on a limb and guess that Rooster has mounted more deer in the last 3 months, than you have in your career. (I know I have)

19. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

That IS the inside measurements :p back to ordering a form to fit the INSIDE ::)

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

WTH are you talking about? You know what, never mind. Order whatever size form you want. Measure it inside, outside, in the rain, I don't give a crap.