1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

A little advice needed on getting capes cross country!

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by bowhntr, Sep 30, 2009.

1. bowhntr

bowhntr New Member

I've got some friends going to Wyoming in about a week or so, mule deer and antelope hunting. My question is what would be the best way to get the capes back to South Carolina in good shape. Ive never had to deal with this before so any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. maxman

maxman Active Member

Have them freeze the capes. Most meat cutters will do it for a small fee. Put them in a cooler w/dry ice for the trip home.

3. I have 2 guys out there now. They will be freezing the capes and shipping them ups to me.

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I get alot of out of state hunters.. Just have them have the locker freeze it solid, and pack in a good ice chest. If they use dry ice be carefully they dont set it right on the cape.. put a piece of cardboard down so it wont burn the cape.

5. Matt

Matt Active Member

Have the capes frozen for the trip home and keep them on ice, but make sure the ice is separate from the capes, don't let them sit in water.

6. I ship hundreds of capes cross country each year from my processing plant. They are frozen hard in our blast freezer and then shipped in a Coleman type cooler next day or 2nd day. Haven't lost one yet. If your hunters are in eastern Wyoming near the South Dakota line, tell them to come to Grandview Locker Plant in Belle Fourhe and I will take care of them.

7. bowhntr

bowhntr New Member

Thanks alot for the comments this is exactly what I needed! I will check with them Fritz, and if they are close I will have them look you up.

Thanks again,
    Michael