1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Please stop patronizing the beginners

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Oct 1, 2009.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Seldom is the day we don't have a beginner come on here showing us his first mount and asking us what we think. I think it takes a pretty brave soul to walk into a lions den with a porkchop necklace. But BE REAL.

If I see one more "Looks great for your first one." or "Wish my first one had looked that good." , I'm gonna puke. KNOCK OFF THAT CRAP.

If you're as old as I am, your first one truly looked like hell simply because you had to make everything under that skin. In today's taxidermy world of snap together forms and "dip and go" hide treatments, why the hell shouldn't a first deer look better than mine? I would hope like hell that it looked better because there's simply no reason it SHOULDN'T. I can take a deer hide out of my freezer, and hand it to some schmuck walking down the street along with a pair of Tohickon eyes and a McKenzie form that matches the measurements and REGARDLESS of his background or talent, he should be able to put that skin on where it would look "better than my first".

Stop patronizing beginners. If it's their first, critique it as if it's their 101st. If it looks good, suck up your ego and tell the guy it looks good. Just stop blowing roses up their asses about how crappy your first work used to look or how good their "first" looks.

2. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Here's my story & I'm sticking to it.

My first ones...holy cow patties I don't like them now. My eye wasn't educated. I knew enough to get myself in trouble.

Honest critiques taught me better...gave me a better education. I'd rather have one honest evaluation of my work than a 1000 folks being "nice." ;)

3. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

Bravo, bravo.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

George, I don't think members are patronizing these beginners. I think when they say that, it's because they mean it. They really think what they are looking at "looks great". There are lots of beginners on this site, some of them with thousands of posts. Sometimes when you read comments like that, you just have to consider the source, and understand that their level of expertise might be in the same range as the piece they are commenting on.

5. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Take your Geritol & calm down George.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

George not all of us are as old as you ::)
    And some used the same products on their first as the beginner asking for a critique. When they say "it looks better than my first" or "I wish my first looked that good" they are judging it from a different view than you.
    As long as they get a decent critique, I don't see the harm. ???

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OK, then how about all beginners having a motocon like this one???

Attached Files:

8. Ya, really, why shoot them down before they even get their feet wet? Critique them as they are, good or bad and then teach them the right way. Isn't being on taxi net all about fellow taxidermist helping each other out whether being really good at what you do or just starting out... Why discourage them because you're better because your older and wiser due to the trials and errors of your own past mistakes? My firsts mounts were awful too, at the beginning... George, I checked out your web site and though some of your mounts are awesome, some were no better then some of the gifted newbies in here, so why are you so high and mighty? Some of your mounts, in my opinion, were no better than anyone else's and were nothing to brag about... Frankly, I was disappointed with what I saw, and you brag about how good you are..? Ya, George, like you, I need to tell it as it is, YOU'RE NO BETTER!!! Cut the newbies some slack and try helping them out without slamming everything you see as if you're some taxi god... YOU'RE NOT!!! You just have more years in it then most of us do...

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

And George, you could change your avatar to this:
    [​IMG]

10. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Woah, when did George brag about how good he is? If anything, he undersells himself all the time. George isn't saying bash the newbs. What he is saying is they will post a pic, and everyone tells them how great it looks. No one gives a critique, just praise. His point is there is little to be gained by that.

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

One other thing, at least when George gives his opinions and tries to help the newcomers, his work is out there so you can view it. I love it when people such as yourself tell others what they have done wrong, without letting us see your work so that we can gauge the level of the critique.

12. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

When,....

When someone puts up a picture of their work and asks for comments, then have at it. But also remember that there is a lot of varying experience from the people making replies. Now in the Fish Forum, people can post pics of their fish in the weekly post WITHOUT a critique.

But when one asks for a critique, then they should receive just that. And George is right....... too many roses being blown up people's butts. Just because one makes a comment (when asked to) about a mount doesn't mean that the person making the critique thinks there stuff is the best in the world. They can see flaws and state it as such (as requested).

I cringe when people say that someone's mount is great when it flat out sucks. But I choose to not give my critique unless they ask it privately (my choice). There is a place to point out the positives and the negatives on a mount.

And I KNOW that EVERY piece that I have done has flaws....that's why I don't ask for opinions LOL Judges do that to me every year. :)

I try to make my next mount better than the last....always trying to improve. See, I already know my stuff stinks.

:)

Kerby...

13. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I pretty much agree with you George. I quit posting on those beginner "how's it look" threads because I was always getting grief as some kind of -Hole. I just always thought "how's it look" meant you wanted an honest opinion.

It's not just beginners though....I recently had a very established taxidermist get red when he asked "how's it look" on here and I gave my opinion.

It is just like competition....people only want pats on the back and told what they did RIGHT...not what is wrong. nobody REALLY wants honest opinion if it is negative.

I even give an honest opinion to my WIFE when she asks that question.

14. Kerby Ross

Honey.....

I love that commercial.

"Honey, does this dress make me look fat"?

You betcha!

LOL

Kerby...

15. RDA

RDA Active Member

well I ALLWAYS say something like "it looked better than my first" becuase normally THEY DO! Its a good judging tactic to bring out the POSITIVE in the piece, then list the corrections that could be made.... Or we could simply rip azz and have that noob go away never to return to this sight again...There IS more to think about than being brutal..

16. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

it was a little over a yr ago when I posted my first work and it pissed me off when people said it looked great......... I had been helping in another shop watching him mount deer and knew it looked like crap I only posted it to see what others saw that me and my mentor did not see. Those of you that did tell me like it was really helped and even picked a few things out that me and my mentor missed. George you were one of them, so THANK YOU for not blowing smoke up my azz!

17. Kerby Ross

Does this make me look fat?

Does this make me look fat?

Nope.

That's why we see her at Wal-Mart

Does my first deer look good?

Yup

Kerby...

[​IMG]

18. RDA

RDA Active Member

and now the CRITIQUE! Jeezereees,,,,, Anatomy IS WAAAAYYY OFF!!! The thighs look BACKWARDS for cryin out loud!!! the flow from shoulder to arm can hardly be detected!!!

Balance is poor at best also !!!!! AND DO SOMETHING WITH THAT EXTRA SKIN!~!!!!!! I would NEVER ADMIt to mounting that!!!! LOL ;D

ooops sorry for that We should just let George do all the critiques.......... ;) ;D

19. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

But I'm not on meth.

20. George, thanks for the picture. It brought back memories.