1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

&^%$%^*&^%^%^^%&

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by JSeiler, Oct 1, 2009.

1. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Just venting a little ;D. I have some pronghorn horns that are being a pain the but :mad: I soaked them in water for a week put them in a garbage bag sat them in the sun for 3 months to rot off and the would not budge I slammed them and bashed them into the concrete floor into the shop and they would not budge a simmered them for a few minutes and the loosened up but would not pull or wiggle off I jammed screw drivers and butter knifes between the cores and horns and they still wont come off I simmered them for a bit more and bashed them and smacked them into the concrete floor again and they still wont come off ::) well back at it again lol

2. I've had some tough ones like that to, gets frustrating. Might have to just seal the gap with epoxy if they wont come off. Good luck with them.

3. Colonel

Colonel Missouri River Rat

Did I read on here somewhere about microwaving them??

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

You spelled your topic title wrong.

5. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Can you do that? They wont fall apart with time?

6. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

You should try to simmer the whole horn one at a time to heat them up enough and this may take an hour or so, but they will come off.

7. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

DON'T JUST "SEAL THEM". Don't take any shortcuts, just simmer them off. It is easy. Michael P has a simple tutorial about it somewhere. Any job worth doing, is worth doing right. Just stick one half in a pot of simmering water for around 25 minutes, pull sheath off, repeat. :)

8. Not a short cut Pac, I said horns, not goat but Impala horns was what my problem was with. Some come off some don't. When they will not come off you have to seal them. I'll be sure to be more clear for you from now on.

9. After all this they must be rotten.

A low heat and pry the base loose, then a really good twist will pop them off everytime. But with all the crap you have already done, and 3 months rotting, they must be trash.

10. Patrick J

Patrick J You've got me mistaken for someone else

Run your scalpel or a piece of wire under the horn to release the hair at the base....That is the last hair to rot and it is what is holding the majority of the antler. You can even cut around the base to help. I should add that I have never had to simmer an antelope. If you try hard enough you can get in under the horn a good inch to release the hair....after all that is all the horn is

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

Believe it or not, those are the easier ones to get off. If you soak them long enough or simmer them, they will come off. Dennis is right, I have had Gemsbok that were a pain in the butt!

12. jasonb

Most African horns especially the spiral horns almost never come off the core, but the bugs in Africa do a pretty good job of cleaning them out.

And Patrick they are horns not antlers, even though they are shed every year.LOL

13. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

Thanks guys I will give all this info a try, they are a till on the cores as for now heading out to start on them again!!! John C they still seam pretty solid and good to me but I m still worried about them!! I need to get them off and get borax down in their ASAP. At least this is my goat and not a customers

14. Try to put only an inche or two in the water. If you put the whole horn in it will start to pull the sheath apart. You don't want that. Try cutting a sliver off the bottom egde of the horn to allow the water to get into the sides of the horn. Put some oxy clean in the water as well, it helps break down the soft tissue. simmer for a while pull out and TWIST them off. EASY, do a lot every year just like that.

15. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

One horn off the core at 1:36 AM. Working on the other one still lol but we are making a little progress

16. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

2:49 and both horns are finally off their cores! UGH!!!!! What a relief that is ::)

17. jasonb

Good job young man.

18. Never give up. Glad to hear that you got them off.

19. what method did you end up using to get them off J?

20. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

It is my understanding that they are not "true" horns. While they are made of keratin, and not bone like antlers, they are shed every year. They are also branched, and "true" horns are not branched. Not saying I'm right, this is just what I was taught.