1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hair on meusurment ?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by kycooner, Feb 3, 2007.

1. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

does anyone know how much the difference is with hair on and skinned neck,

2. What type of critter. whitetail can be up to a couple of inches depends on how thick the hair is. and how tight you pull the tape Better not to get into that habit.

3. kycooner

kycooner Set'em Up Josie

well the deal is i bought a cape,should have read the post better,but its a fine haired deer and the mesurement tight behind the ears before skinning was 17 3/4,do you think i can get it on a 16 1/2 form.

4. CROW

CROW New Member

I was trained to measure with hair-on, but gave that up long ago. The difference shouldn't be a dramatic deduction with an early fall deer verses a fattened rutted up buck. If there's 1/8" of hide, and 1/8" of hair totalling 1/4" I take 1" off total measurement, with tape tight. Or wait until you get the tanned hide and measure then. You may have to elongate the incision down the cape, but a few more inches of thread isn't going to harm anyone, and you need to read the cape as best you can.
    Depending on a few things, that may change your eye to nose length and other measurements. I sometimes error on the plus side if uncertain because it's easier to remove material and sculpt than to add. In my opinion. Hope that helps.

5. John L

John L Active Member

I usually see an inch or 1 and 1/2 inches different depending on how tight you measure. If I have a to replace a 16" neck buck cape I buy it from a local guy but he measures hair on so I would by a 17" or a little bigger cape to allow for the difference. Hope this helps.

John

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Measure the tanned cape.

7. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Don't bother with the 16inch form Kycooner. I always measure hair on also. 98 percent of the time. unless I get a cape that is brought to me already caped off the skull.

If I get a neck measurement of 17 i can go 18 on the form and still get a good snug fit.

I never go smaller. to me thats just asking for drum problems.

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

What? It is the opposite. A form that's too big will cause drumming. If the form is undersized it will help prevent drumming, extra skin to taxi means loose fitting. Over-stretched means drumming in the recessed areas. Hasn't anyone ever heard of ordering a form that was the same size as the carcass? Why always "one inch bigger" or "one inch smaller". I just don't get it.

9. CROW

CROW New Member

Cole

I can't answer for hunterray but I pre-fit and alter almost every form to fit each hide perfectly anyway so, if unsure on preskinned capes I error on the plus size because I'd rather alter the form down to size than have to build up. You can't drum if you're to size.

10. craigjw

craigjw http://www.back2lifetaxidermy.com

Measure the inside, after it has been tanned. It seems different tan batches have different stretch, more or less shrinkage. I would never measure something before it was tanned. Get it the exact size, definately dont order bigger.

11. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Am gonna hafe to say also. Some tanning procedures may differ from sending them out to inhouse tanning which is what 3/4's of my work is.

As far as deer go. Cole I usually purchase a size bigger because of gaining a bit more stretch after the fleshing. (WITH NO MEAT ON). tHATS MY SCENARIO. Haven't had any issues doing this methoud. Then again it's a personal prefferance.