1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Black bear ez tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by alexm, Oct 7, 2009.

1. alexm

alexm New Member

On a 6 ft black bear how much ez tan solution would you need ??
    Alex m

2. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

If you use the weight method for tanning then us it or just mix about 25 Gallons for the skin.

3. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

I dont know about you Russ, but I believe that weight method, is for the birds, when it comes to Taxidermy Tanning? At home, that method might be ok, but it is a pain, for a tanning operation.

Seems to me, a tannery, should be able to come up with some averages, number of skins, and gallons of water, to skip the weighing thing. Do you think the same?

4. alexm

alexm New Member

Yes I agree I know how much lutan to use but am new to ez tan did a small on as a rug mixed 15 gal worked fine well I'll try it at 25 gal ;
    so far the capes are great with ez tan the thing I like is you can wash them and they are so clean if you put a lutan skin in and washed it it would be raw again .
    Thanks
    Alex.

5. moongast01

moongast01 My first love is God my second is My Wife....

I adree with you OS I dont use the weight method we use an average for the skins.But some of things that come with the tan says to weigh them but that is not a lot of liuqid to cover a deer hide so we mix by how many skins we are doing. and most of the time I use 20-25 gallons for a bear depends on the size.
    Hay OS you about got your company up and running?