1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Measuring capes

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by BIGLAWE, Oct 8, 2009.

1. BIGLAWE

BIGLAWE New Member

Hello Everyone,

I seeking advise from the skilled guys and girls on these fourms on taking measurements, I received two elk and two red stag from a ranch which the guides caped them out. They all have the short y incision but no measurements, I really dont want to split the cape all the way down the back so what is the best way to retrieve the correct sizes and do i need to get them back from the tannary before I take the measurements.

Thanks Chris Edmonds

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I started to type this answer out, and thought, WTH? the answer is in the archive a hundred times or more, so I copied an answer from 2003.

Cape Measure
    This response submitted by Rob on 06/29/2003. ( [email protected] )
    Joel, ( BIGLAWE )
    After tanning and stretching , I measure the cape from eye to nose, and across the neck just under the ears. If your cape has a short " Y " incision, and is not split completely down the back, then simply multiply the measurement by 2. I then can order the mannikin. I will usually order one that is about 1/4 inch smaller in the eye to nose and about 1/2 to 1 inch smaller in the neck just under the ears. This will leave you plenty of room for tucking, and forming in the cape to the muscle contours of the mannikin, without drumming the cape. Hope this helps.
    Good Luck!
    Rob

3. BIGLAWE

BIGLAWE New Member

Thanks Mr. T I had no idea there was old topics on here Im going to start looking