1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Marking/punching capes for a tannery?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by buckhntr, Oct 9, 2009.

1. buckhntr

buckhntr New Member

Hello, I have a simple question about marking or labling capes when you send them to a tannery. I hear some people punch a series of holes into their capes to identify them. I have seen others label them with waterproof tags. And have seen other use alluminum tags. The punching holes part seems kind of risky to me. I don't know why, but it seems easy to mix up capes. I like the tagging part, but how do you kow the tag or writting won't come off during the pickling, tumbling or tanning process. Any recommendations? Or what does everyone prefer to use? Thanks

2. Punch holes.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

punching holes is easy lets say for example your # is 321 it would look like this

4. buckhntr

buckhntr New Member

What do you use? A hole punch, or anything sharp. Do you actually poke a hole all the way through the cape, or do you just indent it?

5. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Like you say, they both could be risky?

Like Uncle Harley says.

I punch mine. All the way through. I do it the same everytime. I start from the outside in and on the back (top) of a cape. I use three numbers for job nimbers and skip any numbers with zero. I also keep track of each batch sent to the tannery with all job numbers. The corresponding number is written on all paperwork including tags, work orders and customer contracts and reciepts. The number is also written on skull plates with a sharpie.

I have used an ice pick to punch job nembers, however I now use a #11 pointed scalpel blade.

6. wayne70

wayne70 Member

I use a leather punch. The holes will always be there tags come off and most tanneries don't like tags on hides

7. BIGLAWE

BIGLAWE New Member

I use a grinded down phillips screwdriver seems to work well, good luck and hope you well

8. DEERSLAYER2

DEERSLAYER2 New Member

I use a tag in the ear. keep it loose so the tanny can move it around. you can pick them up at any hardware store, or tractor supply.

9. Matt

Matt Active Member

Take a 6-8 GA. wire and grind it down to a 3-bladed needle and punch code them. Make sure you know your tannery and where they punch everything so your code won't be in the same place.

10. jrichartz

jrichartz Wyoming mule deer

I recommend punching hides at the tannery there is no way we can assure that your tag will make it through our process. the tumbling of the hides to break the leather can tear the tags off. I have 37 tanning customers and do thousands or hides a year and have yet to mix one up. Knock on wood....

11. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

I punch too. Its the only permanent way to mark your hides. Tags can and do come off.
    I number mine vertically, a little differently from Uncle Harley, but same process.
    My punch number 432 goes like this:

12. I separate mine so there is no chance of a misread. 432 Probably a hundred different ways. Whatever works for you is the best way.

• • • •

• • •

• •

13. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

yip frank is correct what ever way works for you just don't change mid season LOL Bill would be 3321 in my shop LOL

14. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

Some tanneries won't take them with tags.

15. Kim Owens

Kim Owens Are we there yet?

We use a drill

16. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I punch all of mine as Frank does.. Except bears, and euro mounts..In addition to punching on the left rear leg I insert a zip tie (colored) where the hide was sealed, and then use the same colored zip tie and do the skull also.. When I run out of colors, I use 2.. the last grizz I took in on monday got a orange and yellow zip tie.. secured Loosely on the hide and the same thing on the skull.. Zip ties don't get ruined in the masceration process, degreasing or whitening process either..

Hoytman

17. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

a rasp with a pointed end here punched like bills. I also have a hide punch sold by WASCO I think..I keep it in my block of wood I use to punch through against.

18. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

get a hold of the tannery and they will send you a package and let you know the recommended way for them and where they place there code so you won't put them in the same area but punching a code is the way to go tags will come off and do come off good luck hope this helps

19. buckhntr

buckhntr New Member

Thanks everyone. Sounds like I will punch holes. Can I just use a normal phillips screwdriver as long as my hole gets punched all the way threw? Thanks