1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pedistal mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by river runner, Oct 14, 2009.

1. river runner

river runner New Member

I am doing my first whitetail pedestal mount and not sure what to use for backing or even really what a good way to do it would be. Any advice or photo ideas would be great help

2. rj9289

rj9289 Buck the system, be an individual, be who you are.

Talk with Michael P.

He has a very nice way of finishing the backs.

3. zubba

zubba Active Member

There are many ways you can finish the back of a pedistal. You can use a tuck method where you make a slot in the exposed pedistal and tuck the skin as well as the material into the slot. Or you can trim your skin and material to the edge of the exposed pedistal...then use a decorative rope around the transistion. You can use leather, fabric, textured paint, etc. Really, the ways of doing it are endless, just use your imagination. Good Luck.

4. This is the tuck method Kurt was talking about. Beaver on the right and cow hide on the left.
    [​IMG]

5. 3maytaxidermy

3maytaxidermy New Member

There are endless ways to finish the back of a ped. We usually use naughide(sry for spelling) or fake leather. A camo material looks nice also. Card the back of your deer until its dry. Then take your template that you carded with and cut out your material. Start at bottom end and start tacking on the backing. We have trouble with wrinkles so we use cotton stuffing(pillow material) As you start to tack up start to stuff the back and when you are at the top just make sure your stuffing is even. Should make a nice plump looking back. Then cover the tacks with matching rope. Hot glue is messy so we use tacks and bury them into the rope where there unseen. Also we use a larger style rope on ped mounts. Hope this helps. THAT SNAKE PED IS AWESOME!!!!

6. Darla R.

Darla R. New Member

I put tree bark on the back of mine, looks neat.

7. river runner

river runner New Member

Thinks guys for all your advice now just got to see if i can put it to good use LOL

8. Here is another option if you know an embroiderer.
    [​IMG]

9. wow, ya'll are so talented. Wonderful work whitetail8...I wish I knew how to embroider!