1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lets study whitetails when they look like the ones we mount in the rut

Discussion in 'Training' started by Bill Yox, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I offer my one day workshop and also my half day live deer photo study during the rut so we can see these animals when they look like the deer we are mounting for our clients. I love the summer coat for looking at anatomy details, but the whitetail buck is a lot different in swelling and features now. We dont go inside with them, but we do walk into the alleys that split the enclosures for up-close study and photos!

This is what a mature buck looks like now. Oh, youve never seen or learned about this kind of neck wrinkles???...

[​IMG]

I have many different bucks to compare anatomy and features with, plus to watch posture and "interact"...

[​IMG]

2. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

They look like they need some elder brush and other things to rub them horns on to get that rich brown color. Them are some really nice big fat boys right there man and they look in their prime.

Steve

3. Bill Yox

How many times have you had that want to begin doing african work, but the customer wont trust you with a safari because you hadnt done any, yet you cant do any till they trust you with one? Gotta love that merry go round, a vicious circle. I can help you jump off that crazy ride! Come to one of my one day classes and I might be able to get you some african experience you can talk to your client about. Just let me know when you schedule with me that youre interested in african game too, we will study whitetails, and cover an african species for the studio portion of your day. Getting the idea that its a pretty darn good deal going on here yet??? Well, you should...

An impala isnt too unlike a short haired whitetail...

[​IMG]

4. Bill Yox

Zebras are a bit more complicated, making sure you nail those patterns is a must. Making sure the subtle facial details are there is an art. Pulling it all together so it looks somewhat horse-like and familiar to the viewers eye, and alive, however, IS the goal...

[​IMG]

5. Bill Yox

Pedestal mounts are evil, they require that you make it good ALL the way around...

[​IMG]

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

That zebra is beautiful Bill.

7. Bill Yox

Even those ugly old warthogs can be done accurately, and do not have to look like grey painted old battleships, as homely as they might well be...

[​IMG]

8. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

I wish I still did the game heads I'm so inspired just looking at the work you do Mr. Bill! Outstanding!!!

Your personal fishhead!
    Rick

9. Bill! tose are some GREAT pics! Thanks for shareing them! Ed

10. Nice work Bill. I need to talk my brother into a class with you. He's getting into deer mounts.

11. Beautiful work Bill, very clean with lifelike expressions.

12. Bill Yox

Thankyou to all who complimented my work, and to those who have contacted me. Hopefully we can schedule with you!

13. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

your on my Christmas list! not that I'm buying you a gift,lol but I told my wife I want one or two days of classes from you!
    as soon as I find out what days we are shutdown at work ill set something up. awesome work Bill....

14. Bill Yox

Thanks Blaine. I look forward to that!

15. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Nice Bill!!!

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

You NAILED that Zebra Bill!

17. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Bill if I am ever able to, one day I really would like to spend a week with you to learn some of your techniques.

18. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

That might very well be the cleanest looking zebra I have ever seen..I haven't seen many but that one is sweet for sure. Impala and ugly hog looks great too. I wish I cared more about mammals I'd be calling for sure. Maybe one day for the heck of it anyhow

19. Bill Yox

Thanks! I wish I had a better camera, or more time, as the details were so sweet on this animal. Facial muscle and tendons, veining, everything showed, due to such a nice tan. Someday Ill start photograghing everything that goes out of here...

20. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

The zebra and base are beauiful.