1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wiper,White Bass,or Striper

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Manny, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Striper Sniper

Striper Sniper New Member

250 days a year look'n at these fish at the
    end of a line .. tell'n client's which is a Striper
    and which is a Hybrid striper...... I thought
    i knew them apart.

2. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I think you got them ...I Think that fish is striped bass but only the tooth patch well tell 100%

anyhow pm sent

LOL

3. Manny

Manny New Member

Thanks for all the oppinions !
    Jknuth, people say there are stripers in this river but they can be mistaken the Hybrids as Stripers. Ill do some more accurate checking though.

I guess we wont know the real answer untill I thaw it out to mold it. Then I can check the tounge . Dont know if it will be next week or later.

Im gonna guess Striper....... from all the pictures posted ::)

4. i mount alot of them here in ky it's a striper

5. I'll go with striper. Wiper, stripers and hybrids all have two tooth patch's mid to rear of tongue the white bass has one tooth patch. Both type wipers (sunshine and palmetto wipers) gets it's tooth patch's from its parent striper. Wipers tend to be more deep bodied. The first pic tries to throw me off with that little hump on top but forward of that is long and straight.

6. Manny

Manny New Member

Well I got around to molding the fish this weekend.

I checked the tounge for the patches, and from my investigation it is a STRIPER

Now both the Hybrid and the Striper have the same patches on the toung and the Hybrid has a heavily broken bar patterns. This fish has straight and almost no broken bars all the way to the tail.

Its a STRIPER.....

7. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

You cant go by the bars.

8. Manny

Manny New Member

OK so what is your thesis.....?

Do you have any more traits for distinguishing a hybrid from a Striper.....?

I went by the tounge, shape and bar pattern that most represented the species, from the mdc website.

Thanks, Manny

9. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Yes I do have a thesis.......... I looked at the dang thing again and I think its a striper. ;D No joke. Its dang hard to tell some times but the stripes dont matter.

10. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

count the number of rays in the anal and the dorsal fins. then go online to a identification site. based on those two number you should be able to distinguish the type. i say striper though.

11. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I've never heard this info before - are you sending folks on a wild goose chase??? LOL!

I still say a pure striper is more elongated. And, according to the ID features in the "Freshwater Gamefish of North America" book, the pure striper should have "7 or 8 unbroken stripes". Now, I realize that isn't always the case, but USUALLY it is. The above fish has several rows with broken lines. The book says that hybrids have "stripes broken above and below the lateral line". The above fish clearly has many broken above and it looks like none below, but there are a few broken-looking spots that are questionable. The two patches vs. one patch only can tell if it's a striper or a white bass. It's not definitive for a hybrid.

Bottom line is we'll never know for certain unless you have it DNA tested. However, since Josh agrees that it's a hybrid and he's NEVER wrong, I'm still saying HYBRID - lol!

Who cares, paint it pretty much the same regardless of what it truly is!!!

12. Ruh Roh...
    lol
    I am pretty sure I have been wrong before.

I still say hybrid.
    :D

13. Manny

Manny New Member

LOL .... Well I am going to stay with Striper ;D

I guess the world will never know for sure untill I get DNA evidence done ........................NOT !.........LOL

Im sure its a mutt of some sort.... LOL

14. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

Marty, it is a very common pratice among scientist to identify common fish species by the number of rays/spines in the anal/dorsal fins. take for example a crappie. a black crappie has more/less (i dont remember which way it goes) spines/rays than a white crappie. in some situations that what they use to ID them not a wild goose chase. just not something many people that dont have complex ID training t hink to use.

15. The only issue with fin rays is it isn't an Identifier for Hybrid striped bass.
    What you need to look for is deeper body then a striper, broken bars on the body. More commonly above the lateral line.

Again since it it a hybrid it can vary. However wipers are sterile well at least functionally so. Meaning the eggs vary from white bass to stripers.
    Striper eggs are buoyant and white bass eggs are sticky and sink. Wipers do spawn with striped bass and white bass but the chance of fertilization is very very very low. like one in 200,00.

That the bass you caught is most likely a pure striper or a artificially made hybrid. but since they cant or generally dont cross back its a pure fish.

Here is a fun one.

[​IMG]

A hybrid that seems to fall into the striper side of things more then the others.
    This fish was shocked from Lake Columbia WI. We have wipers only there.

Neat fish any way you look at it.

16. This striper has a few broken lines above the lat. line ya think and no mistake, its a striper.

Attached Files:

17. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

Nice Fish Barry!!!!

18. I'll be fishing with this guide next summer looking for a 40lb trophy. Check out some of the fish on his web site. http://www.trophybassonly.com/id76.htm

19. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Yep, as mentioned markings are not always an indicator. With this fish, (minus the spawning and/or stuffed belly) the length vs. the overall depth is the clear, telltale sign it's a pure striper...