1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Finally built me a web site, let me know what you think?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by jeremy, Oct 22, 2009.

1. jeremy

jeremy Have you hugged your snake today!

Come on over, it will be the blind leading the blind...LOL

Ha ha, im still lost on that topic. Is it that it loads to slow when folks are looking at it? I may have to figure that one out... :-\

2. jeremy

Thanks Ken, ill get it done. Great tip...

3. mitchson1

mitchson1 New Member

good looking website.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Yes, your images are such large file sizes that they load much slower than they should.

5. jeremy

Thanks Cole for the info and thanks everybody for the PMs and emails with information. Iwent ahead and paid a extra 2.00/mo for a domain name so now its www.uplandersbirdtaxidermy.com

Also submitted for the web crawl, thanks Ken

6. [Yes, your images are such large file sizes that they load much slower than they should.
    [/quote]

It wasn't slow on my part. Maybe it is slow for the dial up internet?

7. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Jeremy, you’ve got a couple of days work left to do…………………….

Search engines/spiders/bots read words, not graphics. These evolving programs put more weight on the written word on the webpage. A dozen absolutely beautiful mount photos on a page are useless as far as a searchbot is concerned. (Keep an eye on developments here though. Search and visuals are coming together.)

You will HAVE to learn how to copywrite. That is what brings the search engines in. That is what brings the surfer in. That is what holds the surfer there (sticky site). Copywriting has to be done in such a manner as not to appear as if you are spamming the search engines.

What is copywriting? It is what you do……………in writing. Write your pages like as if you were writing a letter to a long lost buddy, and you’ve got to get him caught up.

When you have written FOR EACH AND EVERY PAGE, then you are ready to go on to the next round of developments.

8. jeremy

Uhhhhh Whoa.... Now I guess im really lost here Glen, I understand about the searchbots not picking up on a photo but I guess you lost me on the copyright advice. Can you give a example of what you mean when you say I need to write as if im trying to get a old friend caught up. And what you mean by sticky site but not to appear as if im spamming. Please remember Im one green sucka with the workings of computers and websites. I know how to turn them on and use this mouse and keyboard to play on the taxinet. I also know how to hold down the on/off button for 5 secs to reset the computer when it freezes on me...which is always.....LOL I feel pretty pleased with myself to have been able to build this site but it was a paint by numbers web design program they had, my 8 y/o could have done it.

9. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

OK, Jeremy, I fixed my D.A. error on copywriting. For a good example of copywriting, and a sticky page, go to this page of Uncle George's site:
    http://www.whitetaildesignersystems.com/WhitetailDeerTaxidermyMountPhotos.html

There's only six whitetail photos on that page, yet you will, or have, sat there and read everything. That is "sticky", the kind of sticky that holds you there.

Another way to look at it is to write a caption for each photo. I don't think there is any "click to enlarge" program out there that allows for descriptive text for the photos. This end of things takes some study, and then some work to get things working.

10. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

glen gives good advice...he helped me with mine!

11. jeremy

Thanks Glen, ill look it over tonight when I get some down time. I appreciate all the fine tips and feed back from you all