1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Q for Krowtann users

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by silvan, Oct 23, 2009.

1. silvan

silvan New Member

if the tan mix is big enough, can a deer go into it today and a bear in the same mix 3 days from now? since the hide only takes in as much as it needs?

2. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    I bought a 200 gal stock tank and just have krowtann in it and then i can just throw the whole animal in it and your good. sounds like your off to the right path, lol :D

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

mk, sometimes you're just a jughead. What part of "BEGINNER" did you miss.

The answer is "NO". Krowtan is a batch hide treatment chemical. That means one BATCH for one job. If your ONE JOB includes several hides, then it should be OK as long as they're done at the same time. The chemicals transfer to the hide during the soak and adding a hide later in the process means that the mixture is not at full strength. It MAY work, but you have to ask yourself if it's worth the chance.

4. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

I will re use only one time .......but I add 20% more of the initial amount of KT for a WT cape.The salt will be OK.After that neuralize and dispose of it..........If you add a bear to the second use of the Krowtan,just put more then you think you need to play it safe.The hide will only soak up so much so you cant add too much KT.........
    So the answer to your question is Yes........just add more Krowtan...........
    GL

5. George

OK Tom, this is your ugly baby, but if you're going to add more KT to the solution, why not make up a new batch? Where did you come up with the 20% figure (I don't recall reading that on the label)?

6. TD

Its not George...........That came from OS and it works............I use it day in and day out...............
    The second time use is My doing..........The salt stays the same.............The mix is not too dirty........and it does save some money............
    I never use it a third time.......not to say you cant but I dont............

7. TD

I know of more than one way to use Liqua Tan and Lutan F that are different than what the directions tell and they are just as effective..............
    Those are the tanns that I'm most familiar with so I cant tell you about other tans on the market........

8. George

Though protests too loudly, Tom. Your answer was sufficient as most of us who home preserve/tan hide tend to screw around with recipes to some degree. I often hear of people who will paint LiquiTan on eye lids and lips of tanned hides saying it makes them more pliable. I KNOW LiquiTan doesn't list that step in their product either.

9. fougair

fougair New Member

George, that sounds like useful info thanks for your input. I think you should try krowtann so we could use your knowledge and experienced advise. Have a great day! :)