1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cape on ice

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by silvan, Oct 23, 2009.

1. silvan

silvan New Member

How long can a cape ( raw cape in bag) be in a cooler with ice before the risk of slippage becomes less of a risk and more of a definite

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

There are a few variables there, like how long the deer sat around before it was caped. I wouldn't leave it in that state any longer than needed. Most guys think that it ok because the cape is cool, bacteria is still growing producing more of a threat on the cape slipping as time goes on.

3. TIM DUNCAN

TIM DUNCAN surry county va

you don't want it sitting around in water from the ice melting you are asking for trouble i would say no more than overnight the best thing to do is get it to the taxidermist as soon as possible like Matt said the bacteria is growing as soon as it is dead you need to get it caped and get it frozen or salting

4. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Just took a whitetail in that was in a styrofoam cooler "on ice" for 5-6 days. To my surprise, the thing seems OK. Won't really know until after tanning. People think the capes will last forever just because they're on ice. On the other side of the coin, I've seen them spoil under similar conditions in 2 days!! You just don't know sometimes how it'll go. Typically, if it doesn't stink (like rot), and it's not slimy.....you're probably OK. If it's green (like the green you get from wearing a copper bracelet), it's too late.......normally.

5. Blane

Blane New Member

My experience it can look ok at first even in a cooler for a couple of days, but the results will show once in the picle or after it has been tanned...Hard to say..