1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

redstag/ Elk question

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Dave H, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    I have a redstag taht is too big for any of the forms i can find, What about using an Elk form?

2. The last Stag I had to do was big I had to alter the form.

3. RobinK

RobinK New Member

used elk forms before they turned out fine

4. We've done alot of big red stags on elk forms with no problems

5. Keith

Keith Well-Known Member

Ya, I wish they would come out with some bigger stag forms. If you have the skull, use that as reference and adjust accordingly, they do not have the same shape and size as an elk. Also, be mindfull of the nose, they are not like an elk at all.

6. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

I have used elk forms for red stag as well. Mounted just fine. Most red stags are bigger than any red stag forms available. Actually, the only stags that I've seen the size of the forms are only 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 years old. Anything older than that is way to big and you pretty much have to use elk forms or do some major altering of a red stag form.

7. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    Thanks guys, ordered 1 today

8. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

Keep Mounting those Red Stags on Elk mainkins guys... you are doing us a Favour over here,

Anyone that thinks a Elk and Red Stag are the same really needs to study there animals a little more, there are so many things that are different in there appearance,

Dave the closest your going to get to a red stag mainkin thats on the market in the states thats any good is Research Mainkin's get one then alter it to fit your skin.
    I never used one because we make our own here, but they do look allot better than a red stag on a elk manikin.

9. Dean

Dean New Member

They have a different look to them. Length of neck for one. You need to alter the form and rework the face to make a stag look like a stag. I'm sure a lot of customers may not tell the difference because they don't know the difference. They are caught up in seeing the finished animal. I've seen a small Gemsbok on a whitetail form before. There are a lot of people that see poor taxidermy and think it's the greatest there is. It's just like African animals. I've seen some pretty bad work there too, but the customer thinks its great.They're looking at a dead animal up close that they see for maybe 20 minutes after they shot it. Take a few pictures and move on. Then don't see it again for about a year or more. They have blinders on and see their trophy horns or antlers and never see the quality of work and don't know if it's right or wrong. They trust the taxidermist. Hell ,how many taxidermists trust the form company thinking that the form is sculpted correct. Just because it fits doesn't mean it's right. I look at research and alter every exotic animal that comes in. You don't have the selection like we do with deer. Think before you do. Don't assume. There are a lot of forms out thee that need plenty of help.

10. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Well first off, many red stags, at least in Texas, have interbred with the elk so much that you can't hardly tell them apart anymore. Other than by their antlers and hair color. Now if you do have a pure bred stag, then yes there are many differences and Research's form are the best options. But for the mixed stags down here, there are not that many differences. This is partly why we can't find forms big enough to fit most stags, because if they are in deed that big, then most likely they have mixed with elk somewhere down the line. And even if you do use an elk form, yes you do have to so some altering, but not as much as you would have to do trying to make a red stag form that much bigger to fit the hide. Just my thoughts.

11. Dave H

Dave H New Member

ohio
    I ordered the largest one research had, in an upright and the horns hit the wall by a good 10 inchs, I sent it back and found a semi sneak in the mckenzie book and oredered it, the cape came to me dry salted so I sent it to th etannery with out any measurements, when it returned I measured the dry cape and estimated size. Well, after I rehydrated it, it was way bigger than I thought it would. So it was way bigger than the biggest Red Stag form.

12. Most of the red deer that go through here are "Super Reds",inter bred with elk.I've had them measure "32 +