1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What do you consider your most important tool(s) for doing taxidermy?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Speckled Trout, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

Just wondering what you guys consider your most important items that you just couldn't do without. It could be something that's old and irreplaceable, a special tool that's out of production, maybe some kind of homemade contraption that makes your life easier, or something that was actually designed for something else other than taxidermy. Anyways, just curious.

2. BVanKirk

BVanKirk package deal

patience!

3. Cordless drill. I use it several times a day every day.

4. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

my fingers. then a scalpel blade

5. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

SAWSALL ;D ;D ;D ;D

6. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Not really a tool, but good lighting is a must.

7. Jim L

Jim L New Member

band saw

8. cordless drill , hot glue gun

9. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Scalpel, or extremely sharp knife, and nitrile gloves

10. axel

axel Member

windex

11. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

reference material

12. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Since you said tool(s) then all of the above with what gary said being right at the top followed by scalpel, then...IF I could only pick one little tool .....I have one little modeling tool I like more then anything else i have. I shape deer eyes with it, flesh fish cheeks with it, make wrinkles and what not in appoxie with it, tuck lip skin with it on small mammals, set eyes in fish with it, pull pins with it.. and a whole lot more

cell photo but

[​IMG]

13. joey P Holmes

joey P Holmes New Member

butter knife was one thing I could not do without. Used multiple times one every fish, reptile, and gamehead. Then again so is an airbrush. And a drill.

JPH

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Since this was posted in the Fish Category I'm going to go with something more specific to the task at hand. For me, it would have to be the Matt Thompson/Paul Borowski Cheeker tool. I use it for all skinning and getting meat out of tight areas in the head and then of course scraping out cheek meat. I have a couple of them of different sizes and I like the curved ones better for skinning fish. And I make very, very few mistakes with them vs. any other skinning tools I've tried. But the smaller, straight cheeker tools are good for scraping meat out of tight areas like fin butts and getting out cheek meat in smaller fish. I think I use them the most (time-wise) out of any other tool in my shop. I couldn't do without them...

15. Hey Joey
    That tool is hands down the MOST used tool in my shop.
    Everything from sculpting to tucking to scraping................. THE BEST.

16. I agree! With that tool you create your art!

17. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I have that same exact modelling tools as well and quite frankly, I don't care for them. I use the lip tucking tool instead which is very similar. The key difference being the lip tucking tool isn't made out of octagon stock. Those 8 sides force the tool into your hand a certain way. And they just don't sit right in my hand. Whereas the lip tucking tool is round and you can hold it in an infinite amount of ways. Now, the benefit of the eight sides would be a better grasp of the tool when wet. But, the lip tucking tool also has a better radius on the edge and it's a tad thicker which in my opinion is better for sculpting scales. The lip tucking tool is considerably more expensive though. But, if budget isn't a concern then I would recommend trying it and comparing it to the octagon one. Of course, if you're not having the problems I did with the Octagon tool, then no worries. But, I'm one of those guys that thinks there's ALWAYS something better out there and am willing to try new things. JMO...

18. tomdes

tomdes Me my dear and Fall BAZZ!!!

All of them...

19. Speckled Trout

Speckled Trout Member

I have that same one it must have been mass produced in huge quantities. Where did you guys pick up your's? I think I bought mine at a gun show 10 or 15 years ago. I've use it countless times for epoxy work on fish, mostly. Come to think of it, my daughter "borrowed" it and I haven't seen it in awhile.

Without a doubt, very important. I'm "attempting" a rainbow trout repro. that I find myself repeatedly going back to my photos, over and over trying to get it a little better. Closeups of the fins, are proving invaluable, while shaping and thinning the cast, after it came out of the mold.

20. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

You're not looking in the right place. I have a bunch of them and some of the other tools mentioned above. www.taxitools.net

Paul B

Attached Files: