1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Opossum Jaw set

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Jay Addy, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Jay Addy

Jay Addy New Member

Does anyone know where I can buy Opossum Jaw set? Or is there another animal that people use for this?

2. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

I have used a grey fox jawset, just trimmed about 3/4 of an inch of the back to fit in the mouth.. I dont know of any companys that seel open mouth opposum forms, so I had to alter and make one.. Works pretty slick

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

use the real ones if ya got em ;)

4. LordRusty

LordRusty If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

Ohio
    Use the real jaws to mold your own, even it is for just a one time use. Opossum have a "mouthful of teeth" as one woman once said to me when I answered a call to remove one from her garage. No other mammal has as many teeth in its mouth as the Opossum ... 50 is the norm. So, no other set of choppers around will adequately substitute for that! ;) Good luck to you!
    "Playing 'Possum"
    [​IMG]

Note the two "Vampire" Incisors at the very front of the upper teeth!
    [​IMG]

Use Opossum for Opossum ... ;)

John.

5. oldboar

oldboar Taxidermy...do the impossible:)

Unless you're going to compete with this piece....use a grey fox (or equivalent sized) jawset.

Nobody is going to know the difference....and you'll make some money.

My opinion....unless you plan on mounting ALOT of possums, and getting rich that way:)

Jim

6. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

John,

Thats a cool looking opposum skull, Any chance you want to sell it or trade for a skull found up here in say AK..?

7. Judysan

Judysan The Roadkill Queen

I cast mine, but someone else on here cut the jaws out of the skull, cleaned off the flesh and re-fleshed with clay. Casting sounds simpler to me!