1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Hornets nest!!

Discussion in 'Habitat and Exhibit' started by killitnfillit, Oct 27, 2009.

1. A customer wants to know if there is anything to do to a hornets nest to preserve it. Hoping someone can tell me if it needs anything done to it. Rick

2. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

I'm not exactly sure what product works best but you use a aerosol clear coat

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

freeze it long and hard! Don't want any suprises in the spring LOL and then as long as it's inside it will last MANY yrs a friend of mine's dad collects them and he's still got ones from before me and his son was born.

4. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I put one on one of my mounts 12 years ago and it is still in good shape. Just put it on the habitat and tell the client to touch it as little as possible.
    Ralph

5. Thanks for all the advice! I think I'll freeze it for a month or so in the deep freezer and take it out and spray it with Krylon matte finish. I was also told to spray a good bit into the hole and it will not only be fatal to them but it will also seal it off where they can't get out. They will just die in there.

6. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

A week of freezer time should be sufficient. It'll kill them lil beggers. :)

7. does any one wan to buy one? I have one about the size of a volleyball. its still in the tree so i would have to go get it still hahaha

8. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

I would. How much? I can't intiate a PM with my moblie but I can accept and responde to a pm. Pm please. Thanks

9. heres one i used low gloss lacqar on to seal it about 5 years ago and it still looks like it did when i found it. it was 20'' long from the tip of the point to the bottom and was 14'' wide.
    [​IMG]

10. Jessa W.

Jessa W. New Member

Rick, I agree that a month in the freezer would be best to avoid any surprises. Then I'de use a strong holding hairspray to preserve a more natural look. I do like Allen's with the low gloss lacquer, but it seems it's still putting off to much of a shine. (could appear that way just because of the camera flash.) Whatever use choose to use, be sure to hang it away from any type of heater/ac vents, drafts around windows/doors, direct sunlight, and definitely no extra handling. Very fragile and worsens throughout the years! Jessa

11. MattHCT

MattHCT New Member

A week in the freezer kills ticks and deer capes as well as dermested beetles that are left over in euro skulls. I can't imagine that a hornet needs much more than a week. But what ever floats your boat. :)

12. Well I do have some freezer space available for about a month, till buck season is in full swing so I'll just leave it there till then. I was also thinking extra hold hairspray too. Thanks!! Rick

13. bowhuntr

bowhuntr Member

jessa is right....stout hair spray

14. Jessa W.

Jessa W. New Member

;)

15. Critter

Critter New Member

I use spray can shelac on them. I put mine in the freezer for a week.

16. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

Dont see why you couldnt spray with 50/50 elmers glue and water

17. I wouldn't introduce water to the nest. I have used only Aqua-net hair spray and i like the way it holds. Also is a great propellant in the spud gun. :)

18. I'll have to remember that next year during tater-days celebration. LOL!!!!!!!!!